Skip to main content

My system has 2 play3, 2 Play1 and a Playbar

I have set the 2 Play 3 as stereo speakers and the Play 1’s as surround.

When watching a movie I am getting no sound from the Play 3’s but the Playbar and Play 1’s are fine.

Playing music the stereo plays fine through the Play 3’s

I guess this is correct, but how can I add the Play 3’s to the home cinema system so that the sound that play 3’s give out sound from the film?

You can group the Play:3s with the Playbar setup, but you will probably experience a slight audio delay from the Play:3s when playing TV audio that will cause an echo effect. Streaming music will be in sync though.

You can group the Play:3s with the Playbar setup, but you will probably experience a slight audio delay from the Play:3s when playing TV audio that will cause an echo effect. Streaming music will be in sync though.

Thanks, will I need to remove the stereo pair before I group them with the playbar?

No, the Play:3s can remain as a stereo pair while grouped with the Playbar/Play:1s setup.

No, the Play:3s can remain as a stereo pair while grouped with the Playbar/Play:1s setup.

As I have the Play1’s as surround with the playbar it seems I only have 2 ‘rooms’ and apparently I cannot create a group with less than 3 ‘rooms’?

Group the speakers by following the instructions in this article:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/group-and-ungroup-rooms?

In my experience, grouping any speakers in the same room with a TV source causes an intolerable echo.  You can try to delay the sound so the echo isn’t there, but that causes intolerable lip sync problems.  Additionally, since the soundbar already has Left/Center/Right speakers, the additional Left/Right speakers make the soundstage a muddy mess.  

In short, there is no fitting way to add a front left/right speaker to a soundbar, be it Sonos or any other brand.