Answered

Add Sub or Playbar (Android 14 - Pixel 8 Pro) vs iOS

• 3 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Dear Community

Question: Can someone explain the issue high-level or even low-level (technical)?

Issue: I spent hours and several tries connecting my Playbar or Sub with my Google Pixel 8 Pro (Latest App SW, latest Android), granted any possible permission, reinstalled the App several times, emptied data and cache of the App. Switched my WiFi to dedicated 2.4Ghz. Hard reset the devices several times. Restarted the phone & App multiple times. Created a new Sonos account. Without any luck - faced several different error message like Error 1000 or the App seemed not to be up2date which it definitively was or the error message where Sonos is even recommending to use an Ethernet cable or even another device.

Confusion/Surprise: Somewhere in the middle of all tries I could add my 2 Sonos One seamlessly without any efforts on the first try just like on iOS (even on my 5Ghz network).

Expected: I installed the Sonos App on my iPhone 13 mini and it literally took me 1 minute to seamlessly connect the Sub just like as expected & back in the old days.

...continued on Android for a few more hours…

Sidenote: I could always connect to the Sonos WiFi or recognize the hardware, but it went never that far, that I could hear a chime. (Only when connecting/adding it with the iPhone).

Frustration: I do not get why Android is still that incompatible in 2023 "even" with Sonos which charge a premium price for premium average consumer hardware, where everything works perfectly fine on iOS - just like expected. I guess it's not just about Sonos but more about Android (sad for googles Flagship Phone I was waiting so long for - looks like changing from iOS is still a bad idea even in 2023).

Thank you very much

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 3 November 2023, 21:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

There really is/should be no difference between the two. In both cases, the controller is merely a remote control to the system running on the speaker(s), and almost nothing at all occurring on your device. Which leads to the potential that there’s some difference between the connection to your router between the iOS and Android devices. As far as I’m aware, they are both exactly the same Sonos code, with a wrapper that allows them to communicate with the OS.  There just isn’t much more this community can do to provide you definitives, you need to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Thank you for the reply. I would expect exactly the same and made also sure there was non of my 2 VPN services enabled.

The one from Google itself + Proton VPN were disabled.

The very strange thing and actually the anomaly is that I could add the 2 Sonos One speaker without any issues and without anything changed as just before and after I continues adding the Sonos Sub & Playbar again without luck, while it was immediately working on iOS.