Answered

5.1 Setup

• 27 August 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a Sonos Arc, Sub Play 1 x2 and Symfonisk lamp ×2, but am unable to turn it into a 5.1 in the app. It's either makes me pick the Play 1, or the lamps in a fresh set up. Are the Play 1 like the Symfonisk speakers where you can only have 2 as part of the 5.1 system? 

Tia

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 August 2023, 03:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Not sure I truly understand the question properly.

In a 5.1 system, there are 3 channels which are part of your Arc. You can then add 2 surrounds to that (of the same type,) so either your two Sonos Ones/ PLAY:1s, or your two Symfonisk lamp speakers….but not both. Then you’d add the subwoofer, which would be the .1, and you’d have a 5.1 system, with two speakers left over that you could set up for music use in another ‘room’. 

Ah gotcha, thanks for the reply! I understand now. I was under the impression you needed 4 speakers. I'll just sell my play ones as I've had them for several years. I was still thinking of a traditional 5.1 setup, like two front speakers, 2 rear, Sub, bar and receiver.

You can’t do two ‘front’ speakers in a Sonos setup, those channels/speakers are already in the Arc, but I completely understand. Sonos doesn’t make any ‘center speaker’, they all include those three channels. 

You should get a pretty good price, I’d expect, on the PLAY:1s, I think there may be lots of folks who need ‘just one more to fill out my surround needs’…

In my previous house I had the two Play 1's in the rear with the Arc and didn't think anything of it lol. Guess I should do more research before I buy things, cause I've had the 2 Plays sitting in the front with the Arc lol. I'm an idiot. I've had the Arc since it was released. Thanks again for the help

Navin 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You can never have too many Sonos!

Don’t you have a bathroom, garage, basement or something that could use a Play 1 or two?

Most welcome, and not an idiot, just had a slightly different world view ;)

You can never have too many Sonos!

Don’t you have a bathroom, garage, basement or something that could use a Play 1 or two?

No basements in Florida as far as I know and I got a small 1700sq 3 bedroom house, so just turning it up in the living room let's me hear it in the entire house and in the garage I have the Move

Navin