Answered

3.5mm tv source to sonos

• 11 July 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello i have 2x sonos play 5 and i just want to know if its ok to connect my sonos five with 3.5 mm aux cable to my new smart tv 3.5mm output (located behind the tv), i can see the little logo of headphone. In my tv settings, i can select ‘’source’’ instead ‘’headphone’’ and the sound is better.

I do not have soundbar so this is why i asking. 

My second question is: if i purchase sonos arc do you know if the audio latency will improve or it will remains the same?

Thank you very much for your help.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 11 July 2023, 22:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

If you connect the TV directly to the line-in on the Play:5s, you will probably experience a slight delay that will lead to lip sync issues.

If you connect an Arc to the TV via HDMI ARC or optical, you will experience no lip sync issues. And you could use the Play:5s as surrounds with the Arc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

@GuitarSuperstar Do you know if the lip sync issue can be solve with a HDMI Switch Audio Extractor Splitter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@GuitarSuperstar Do you know if the lip sync issue can be solve with a HDMI Switch Audio Extractor Splitter?

Unlikely: the line-in will always have a delay. This is minimised on tv signal to a soundbar, but still exists for other rooms if you group them with the Arc. If you are in the other room you’ll prob not be aware of the delay, and lip-sync is not an issue as you can’t see the screen. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

but still exists for other rooms if you group them to the Arc. 

@nik9669a Since i have 2 rooms in my living room (sonos front and sonos back) if i understand then i will still have a latency issue at the back even with a soundbar? 

Userlevel 7

but still exists for other rooms if you group them to the Arc. 

@nik9669a Since i have 2 rooms in my living room (sonos front and sonos back) if i understand then i will still have a latency issue at the back even with a soundbar? 

If the Play:5s are set up as surrounds with the Arc, you will have no latency issues. But if the Play:5s are grouped with Arc, you will experience a slight delay from the Play:5s when playing TV audio. Streaming music will be in sync.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

It would be instersting to know if sonos developers ever try a lower frequency below 75ms. A real low frequency should be around 30ms. Maybe a beta feature can solve the problem for some people who do not have extra money for a soundbar...