Answered

2 subs in different rooms?

• 25 November 2022
  • 4 replies

I have the beam and sub (gen 2) on the main floor (Family room). I also have a play bar and another gen 2 sub that I want to put in the basement.  Is this possible or do I need to buy a gen 3 sub to connect?

thanks

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 26 November 2022, 17:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There is no reason why you couldn’t have one Sub bonded to the Beam, and another Sub bonded to the PLAYBAR. You just couldn’t bond both gen 2 Subs to the same device. 

That’s what I thought too but it won’t let me discover the 2nd sub on the playbar.  It would just ask me if I want to use the other sub.

I couldn’t find anything online about it hence why I’m asking here

Has this worked in the past? What were these Subs connected to previously?

Both devices are using the same operating system, S1 or S2, correct? You can’t connect a sun using S1 to a PLAYBAR using S2, or vice versa, they must be running the same version. 

If one sub is connected to the Beam already, that’s good. There is no reason why, for simplicity’s sake, you couldn’t temporarily unplug the two from power, and they’d still be bonded when you plugged them back in.

But I’m concerned that either Sub isn’t  ‘bonded’ yet, otherwise that sub that you think is bonded to the Beam’s room wouldn’t be presented to you as an option to bond to the PLAYBAR. 

There is definitely something odd going on here, and I am not sure we’re understanding everything. Have you tried calling Sonos Support directly to discuss it?