Answered

Yamaha receiver to TV to Arc

• 12 February 2021
  • 3 replies

I use my Yamaha receiver to switch devices and if i use standby mode I can use the Arc through my TV for DVD’s.  Switched the receiver audio out to HDMI and not amp out.  If I power the amp there is no audio.  In standby/pass through there is audio.  Why?  And, can Arc process different audio scenes from the receiver (e.g Sports, Theater...)  

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 14 February 2021, 17:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

If I understand your post correctly, it is because the Arc is using ARC from your TV set, and when you switch it to another source, that device doesn’t create the same ARC signal that your TV set does, so the Arc isn’t receiving a signal it can read. Essentially, your better off connecting the Arc to the TV directly, not the receiver. That way, you can continue to use the receiver as a switch, but the sound will always be paired with whatever is on the TV. 

OK got it.  Except i have the Arc connected to the TV earc output and works great.  With DVD connected to the receiver and then HDMI 2 tv input I get audio through the tv to the Sonos only with receiver in passthrough/standby.  I’m guessing if the receiver is powered on it’s a conflict or not readable as mentioned with the eArc output on the TV.  I was thinking I’d go with Sonos Port to connect DVD and CD to the Arc and One’s but that’s an expensive option.  

Userlevel 7

Hi @JohnnyJohnson 

IMO you’d be better served with the following setup:

1 Arc to TV eARC

2 DVD to available HDMI port on TV

3a. CD to available HDMI port on TV (downside is that the TV would have to be powered on)

3b. CD to Port (Select either the Arc or stereo paired Sonos One’s as the autoplay room. Other Sonos speakers can be grouped to the autoplay room) *

The above eliminates the Yamaha which will also reduce your electric bill :wink: .  

* Use of a inexpensive switch with the Port would also allow connection of a pre-amped (or outboard pre-amped) turntable.

Cheers!