Question

Wireless HDMI

• 10 October 2020
  • 6 replies

tl;dr -- is there any way to avoid running a physical HDMI cable to the Sonos Arc?  Can I leverage a wireless HDMI transmitter?

Context:

I’ve seen a few questions posted to these forums in the past with a similar question, all of which resulted in a pretty clear “no solution to this problem”, but things may have changed since then with the introduction of the HDFury Arcana, so I’ll try again.  

I am using a projector in an open-concept living space which will result in the projector screen dropping from the ceiling between my Living Room and Kitchen (above my Dining area).  The complexity of this layout means I cannot expose an HDMI under the projector screen (unless I literally just run it manually every time I want to watch, and then unplug/conceal when not in use).

My set-up includes my projector above the sofa (Epson 5050UBe), projector screen over dining (Solo Pro 2).  Apple 4KTV + Xbox Series X (soon) are my two primary sources.  I plan on stashing both the Apple 4KTV and Xbox Series X in the kitchen (in cabinet above the fridge).  These both will plug into an HDFury Integral2, which will plug into an HDFury Arcana.  The video output of the Arcana will feed into my wireless HDMI transmitter to beam video to the projector (receiver is natively built into the 5050UBe projector).  The screen itself is wireless (lithium ion charged tab-tensioned motorized screen). 

So now I have wireless video and a wireless screen all good to go.  

Problem/Question:

So with wireless video all set-up, the question is how to pass audio from the HDFury Arcana to the Sonos Arc (and from the Sonos Arc to my two One SLs and Sub).  It seems my options are limited to the following (in reverse order of preference):

1. Hope Sonos releases a solution to this (I doubt the Sonos Port or Amp will check the box here).  Basically, Sonos would need to create a ‘hub’ device that can connect via HDMI to the source.  This hub would then beam the audio to all speakers in the set-up.  Any rumors of one coming soon?
  2. Leverage another wireless HDMI transmitter.  The one built into my Epson 5050UBe works great for wireless video… The question is… if I plugged a wireless transmitter into the HDFury Arcana, and the corresponding receiver into the Sonos Arc, would this work
  3. Sell/relocate my Sonos Arc and move forward with a WiSA system (e.g. Enclave Cinehome ii, or the upcoming WiSA soundsend paired with Klipsch Reference Wireless, for example).  These both operate similar to #1 above (a dedicated hub to receive the signal).  Not ideal as I like the Sonos Arc and would probably take a loss now selling it (as I’m past my return window).  Side question -- would there be a way to leverage the port to at least get the WiSA speakers working within my existing Sonos ecosystem? 
  4. Keep a long/thin HDMI plugged into the audio output of the HDFury Arcana.  Whenever I want to watch the projector, take that HDMI out and manually run it to the Arc (along with the power cord).  When I’m done watching the projector, unplug the HDMI and put it back in the cabinet above my fridge.  Obviously not ideal at all (particularly as it would cut off access to the kitchen on one side).   

Thanks in advance for anyone that read this, and double thanks for anyone that has anything to offer on the topic!  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jacesaces, thank you for reaching us and welcome to the Sonos Community. I appreciate you for letting us know about your concern and providing the details on your post. Let me help you with this.

Upon checking, HD Fury Arcana is a third party device where you can connect your Sonos Arc to get the Dolby Atmos. We don't recommend third-party devices, it may or may not work with Sonos. If you encounter any issues with it, we won't be able to provide an accurate resolution to address the issue.

Sonos Arc supports playback of Dolby Atmos audio via Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD. Sonos Arc must be connected to HDMI ARC or HDMI eARC to play any Dolby Atmos content. You can find more information on playing Atmos audio through Arc in our Dolby Atmos article.

You may check out this community article related to your concern.

https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/don-t-have-earc-get-atmos-w-hd-fury-arcana-pre-orders-now-live-6844338

We can wait for suggestions and feedback from our Sonos community members, they might provide their own opinion about this. 

Let me know if you have any questions about this. The Sonos Community is always here to help.

Thanks Rowena.  This question is less about the Arcana itself (I’ve already hardwired the arcana and arc have been able to achieve audio including atmos).  My question is more about whether I can wirelessly connect the Arc to my home theater (vs needing to actually plug an hdmi physically into the Arc).  The arcana is only relevant in the conversation because it might be able to resolve arc/earc which most wireless transmitters cannot do.  Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I don’t believe such a device exists, based on a quick web search for “wireless hdmi arc”.

@controlav do you think the Arcana might be able to resolve for that though (e.g. a normal wireless HDMI plugged into Arcana to convert to eArc when transmitting to the Arc)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@controlav do you think the Arcana might be able to resolve for that though (e.g. a normal wireless HDMI plugged into Arcana to convert to eArc when transmitting to the Arc)?

I doubt it. An ARC signal is very different to a regular HDMI signal.

Maybe I am missing something here but if you keep the sources and the Arcana close to the screen and the Arc, can't you just have a wireless HDMI from the Arcana to the projector, just to carry the video? Everything else would be wired.

I know wireless HDMI exists but don't know how reliable it is. 

I have probably misunderstood something here!