Answered

Will beam 2 work with sound extractor via optical cable?

• 7 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Hey! I’m thinking about purchase a Sonos Beam and a pair of Sonos ones, my question is the following:

As my TV doesn’t have ARC/eARC nor optical output, I’m thinking about purchase this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FR4771P/ref=emc_b_5_t to connect my Roku ultra to, output sound to Sonos and then connect it to my TV, you think will work? Or I need a new TV/Apple tv 4k and output through AirPlay 2?

icon

Best answer by BMF 7 November 2021, 23:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi,

it “may” work for your Roku, but certainly won’t play any other sources including the TV as is would only strip out the audio from the input of the extractor.

I say “May” as I have not tried that particular device and it took me a while to find one that worked with my TV and  Playbar.

using AirPlay would not be a great experience for watching movies etc as the audio will likely have a delay.

also Airplay disconnects if not used, in my experience and you have to reconnect it you have not been using it for a while …. Never timed it but I would guess 15-30 minutes.

what audio outputs does your TV have?

do you ONLY watch Roku?

Hi BMF! :) My parents only use Roku on TV as cable is almost never used in my house, and my TV is kinda old (my father loves it and thus we never changed) it has only 4 HDMI outputs (normal ones) and RCA

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Ok, so it might work for you then.

I would certainly buy from a place where they have a decent returns policy as I must have tried 4 or 5 until I found one that worked for my situation, which is different from yours.

when you say RCA output, is that a digital RCA output or the red and white stereo type?

Red/white analog stereo input* and I just checked, it has a coaxial audio digital output. And just to know, if you can share it of course, which one you ended up buying and worked?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

You could then go from TV to beam so anything plugged into the TV should work, although the way you have suggested may get better options for audio such as surround, DD, DD+ etc

The one I got was for HDMI ARC to optical so would not work in your situation.

It’s really difficult to say exactly what will or won’t work with 100% accuracy as it would depend on various combinations….. as I found out, I just needed to keep trying until I found one that worked for my set up requirements.

on paper, from what you have shown it “should” work.

it also looks like there are a few options in that device, as it outputs HDMI Audio or optical, the beam comes with an hdmi to optical converter so that may work if hdmi didn’t….. HDMI would be preferred though

Thanks! I’ll buy the system anyways, hopefully I can make it work, or I’ll get a new TV, THANKS! :D