Answered

Will a Beam work with an older TV ?

• 15 August 2021
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

Hi there,

I just upgraded to a brand new Samsung TV, and joined the Sonos world for the first time with an Arc sound bar, plus a sub. We’re really impressed with the sound, having upgraded from a 10yr old Sony. We also bought a couple of Move speakers to stream music to, one to use upstairs and one for downstairs. 
The downside is that our now much more finely attuned ears (!) notice how crummy our bedroom TV sounds. 
I’ve checked, and did a bit of searching on the web, and the bedroom TV won’t seem to connect to the upstairs Move speaker, and am thinking a Beam sound bar might be a better investment anyway. 
The TV is a few years old and just wanted to sense check with the community that the TV should connect and play sound through a Beam rather than the TV speakers OK. There doesn’t seem to be a sound bar option in the TV settings menu. 
I found the requirements for a Beam at: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1920?language=en_US and have checked, and my TV does have an HDMI ARC socket, so hoping it would work, but slightly concerned about the lack of sound options in the TV menu for a sound bar. I attach a couple of pics of the back of the TV. 

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Many thanks 

Justin

icon

Best answer by JustinD 15 August 2021, 23:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Likely BEAM will work. Which model TV?

Badge +1

It’s a Samsung UE32J6300

I expect that BEAM will work when connected to the TV’s HDMI-ARC port. BEAM will probably setup automatically if Anynet+ is enabled.

A generic TV manual is available online.

Badge +1

Fingers crossed! I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and see if it works, and just make sure I keep the packaging!

I’m not sure what Anynet is, but noticed the TV always gives a message, when I switch from my Amazon fire stick - which is plugged into HDMI 1, back to terrestrial TV, saying “Anynet device disconnecting”. 

Cheers 

Justin

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Fingers crossed! I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and see if it works, and just make sure I keep the packaging!

Well you could test the theory by plugging in your Sonos Arc as a test, before buying a Beam.

If the ARC port is a problem, you can always fall back to optical. which your TV does have.

Badge +1

The Sonos Arc is all set up by the dealer, and fitted under the TV on a wall bracket, and being slightly disabled, would be beyond me in taking off the new TV, and testing on the bedroom TV. 

For me, fitting a smaller Beam, and just by the TV on some drawers in the bedroom is something I’m sure I can do myself, and I actually have some vouchers with a department store that means I wouldn’t be using the TV dealer to get a Beam - so can’t really go to them to ask. 

so sounds like a case of buying and trying!

appreciate your thoughts, one to consider!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Seeing your picture: just put the Sky HDMI in HDMI 3 - the Beam should use HDMI 2 because it needs ARC.

My Beam worked fine on my 2011 Samsung UE46D80000.

Badge +1

Seeing your picture: just put the Sky HDMI in HDMI 3 - the Beam should use HDMI 2 because it needs ARC.

My Beam worked fine on my 2011 Samsung UE46D80000.

That’s reassuring - my Samsung TV is a few years newer than 2011. And appreciate the tip about the hdmi slot to use!