Answered

Why does the Sonos sound stutter when I play netflix via the 4th Apple TV?

• 14 March 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hi guys,

This new issue crops up a few days back, whereby the sound output from Sonos stutters whenever I play something on Netflix Apple TV (4th edition).

And this doesn’t happen when I play movies/news on Hulu or Reuters app.

The problem occurs when I opt for HDMI output on Apple TV, but resolves when I chose airplay 2  instead. Can I know what is the solution to this?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 14 March 2020, 10:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Helmi_S,

Sounds either like it could be the TV, or possibly the connecting cables. I would try powering off (no lights) the TV, ATV and Sonos HT device and re-seating the cables to begin with.

Some older TV’s might not be able to process the audio through their ports quickly enough, so ensure any sound enhancements that your TV ‘may' support, in its settings, are switched off.

If your TV is a newer model then it may support audio pass-through on both it’s HDMI-ARC and Optical ports… check your TV Settings and if that feature is supported, then I would enable that and ensure all its connected peripherals are sending a Dolby Digital audio signal. If not then perhaps try the following suggestion instead...

A good test with some older TV’s is to try an audio splitter/extractor between the ATV and the Sonos device and see if that improves things by cutting out the 'pass-through/processing’ of the audio through the TV altogether. Here’s are various examples of such devices depending on how many devices you may wish to connect to the TV, and type of TV etc.

https://www.amazon.com/NewBEP-Switcher-Selector-Extractor-Splitter/dp/B07438WJ8G/ref=sr_1_7

https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Extractor-Splitter-Amplifier/dp/B07D9BNVM1/ref=sr_1_21_sspa

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Koopman-Optical-Converter-Supports/dp/B082KW5MXS/ref=asc_df_B082KW5MXS

Another means of checking if the TV is struggling with the audio, is to  downgrade the type audio itself passing through the TV from Dolby Surround Sound to Stereo PCM and see if that audio format passes to the Sonos HT device without any delay or stutter, If so, then the audio splitter/extractor may just be your best bet, after trying the various other things mentioned.

Hope that assists. 👍

I forgot to mention to also ensure that the TV and any connected devices software/firmware are each all up-to-date and everything is running on the latest version, as often 'updates' can improve things too.

Badge +1

Thanks for the replies..

But there is an enigma that is bothering me, which is, the problem only happens when I use Netflix but disappears with Hulu or Apple TV+ shows.. How will the above fix the sound and its stutter then?

Helmi_S,

I would perhaps try the checks I mentioned by by-passing the TV ports and see if that resolves your issue. Check your HDMI cables and connections too.

Ensure the software/firmware is up-to-date on all devices.

Appreciate what you say about the different Apps, but perhaps check those are delivering the same type of audio output, otherwise if you think it’s a Netflix App issue, you may have to contact their support desk, but just to say my Netflix App on ATV is currently working okay here for me.