Question

Why can't I see the audio my Sonos Arc is receiving in the S2 controller app?

Badge +3

My Sonos surround system (Arc+One speakers+sub) is at present receiving its audio from a 2011 55-inch Samsung TV’s HDMI (ARC) port. The app does not show the audio format on the TV’s “room screen.” When I go to “About my system/Sonos System info/Sonos Arc: Family Room,” the “Audio in:” always shows “stereo,” even when it sounds like I’m hearing surround sound. So, to my questions: why doesn’t the app’s room screen tell me anything about what audio signal the Arc’s receiving; and why does the “Audio in:” come up as “stereo” when the system sounds to me like it’s putting out 5.1 surround sound? Is the latter possible because (1) my 9-year-old Samsung’s HDMI ARC doesn’t support 5.1 surround and (2) the Arc and the surrounds are going a passable job of simulating it? (The Samsung’s optical audio output only supports PCM.)

My issues with the app are are short term--I hope--because in a little over two weeks my Arc will be receiving its audio from a 2020 Sony X950H TV with an HDMI eARC port and passthrough support for Dolby Atmos, DTS, etc., etc. But in the meantime, I’d like to get some answers to the questions above. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @AptosSonos, thanks for reaching out and the details here. Using HDMI ARC should allow you to get 5.1 surround sound (Dolby Digital) and since you said it sounds like you’re hearing it maybe yes it’s because of the TV. I’m thinking if you have set the right audio format on your TV and played the same content because if it’s set to Dolby Digital, you should see the same in Sonos. Try to reconnect the cable, double-check the TV settings or you can check it with the TV manufacturer as well. Also, it’s nice that you’re getting a new TV so you’d be able to enjoy and listen to Dolby Atmos on your Sonos Arc. Let us know if you still have any questions. Thanks

Badge +3

I’m thinking if you have set the right audio format on your TV and played the same content because if it’s set to Dolby Digital, you should see the same in Sonos.

Hi Krishma M. I got the new TV (Sony X950H, with HDMI eARC) and everything works great. I am still wondering why I don’t see the sound format (e.g., Dolby Digital +) on the S2 controller’s “room” screen, even though I can confirm it by going to System Settings/About My System. Other users have shared screen shots of their controller room screens, wherein sound formats are also displayed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @AptosSonos, thanks for your response and for letting us know that you’re okay with the setup. If Arc is receiving an Atmos signal, it should display that within the Sonos App on both the "Now Playing" screen, and within the settings portion of our app. Have you tried a different mobile controller? You can submit a diagnostic so we can check it on our end. Reply to us with the confirmation number. Thanks! 

Badge +3

Hi @AptosSonos, thanks for your response and for letting us know that you’re okay with the setup. If Arc is receiving an Atmos signal, it should display that within the Sonos App on both the "Now Playing" screen, and within the settings portion of our app. Have you tried a different mobile controller? You can submit a diagnostic so we can check it on our end. Reply to us with the confirmation number. Thanks! 

I’ve never seen a “Now Playing” screen when I’m watching TV in our “Family Room” -- unlike when I play music through our paired “Living Room” Play:1 speakers.

Badge +3

You can submit a diagnostic so we can check it on our end. Reply to us with the confirmation number. Thanks! 

Please check the following diagnostic confirmation number: 1918834219. I submitted this while streaming a Netflix movie. Under System/System Settings/About My System, the S2 controller app on my iPhone showed that my Arc was receiving Dolby Digital Plus, but the “room” associated with my Arc-based surround system (“Living Room”) didn’t show any information re. what kind of audio was playing. The little bars were going up and down in the minimized view of the room, but when I expanded it to a full screen, there was no audio information, not even moving bars.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @AptosSonos, thanks for the diagnostic. It shows that you’re getting Dolby Digital Plus. I’m wondering if your source supports Dolby Atmos. Some shows and movies may not have Dolby Atmos audio. Check with your streaming service provider to see if they support Dolby Atmos. You can also try a different source of content to confirm. Just let us know. We’re here to help. 

Hi @Krishma M - I am seeing similar behavior in the app in that on the now playing screen all I see is ‘TV’ with no information on the sound format. If I got into the About my system I can see what is actually playing on the Arc - DD+, Dolby TrueHD etc. Any idea why this doesn’t show on the now playing screen?

The Arc is connected to a new Sony KD55A8 TV on the earc hdmi with a hdmi 2.1 cable.

The now playing screen doesn't display the music format.  It just indicates when Dolby Atmos is working. 

Hi @John B - All  I get is ‘TV’ regardless of what is playing. The ‘About my system’ option can be showing Dolby Atmos TrueHD or Dolby Digital Atmos but the Atmos logo / symbol does not appear on the now playing screen.

The problem with Dolby Atmos not showing on the Now playing screen seems to have been resolved with a reboot of the Arc.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @robellis2, thanks for the update and the assistance, @John B. I’m glad it’s working now after the reboot. Just let us know if you need anything. We and the community are always here to help.