Answered

When will we have control over the centre channel in the Arc

Userlevel 2

I've seen this topic a few times and would like to know when this will be implemented? We’ve just had an update and I this has not been included. This “low speech high music” issue has been discussed for over a year now and give the recent update, don't understand why this has not been addressed. 

I don’t want to have to run night mode or speech enhancer just to watch some content where I can only just hear the dialogue above the other sounds. I’d like control over the centre channel in the arc.

Again last night I found myself constantly adjusting the volume to hear certain things, can you confirm this will be implemented shortly? If not, I’ll happily replace the system for one in which I can adjust to my needs.

(note: If id known about this issue I would never have invested in the eco system.)

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 2 August 2021, 02:30

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 7

Sonos hasn’t announced if they are going to add this feature so don’t expect any kind of timeline for implementation.

What type of audio are you getting from the Arc? From what source?

@Alexsr71,

I don’t personally have any such audio issues with the Sonos Arc output, which is connected to an LG C9 TV in our Home - the speech is clear and life-like and I’m not seeing/hearing the poor audio issues you mention.

I haven’t seen Sonos Staff mention recently that there is anything to fix with the Arc audio, although it’s true that Sonos rarely, if ever, speak about their future development roadmap. Nor have I seen too many requests in the community here asking for HT center channel audio adjustment features, by comparison perhaps to some other requested features, like DTS codec support, or upgrade for SMBv1 etc; just as two examples that spring to mind.

I do suggest however a couple of things that perhaps might be worthwhile trying and that is to maybe test the Arc audio with a different TV, If you have one available, as the current TV audio out might actually prove to be the cause of the poor sound, rather than the Arc speaker …and if that test still points to the issue being caused by the Arc, then to go onto submit diagnostic reports from the Sonos App and make a note of any references and then actually contact/phone the Sonos Support Team and speak to them direct, as they have tools available to them that can check the hardware/software to ensure it’s performing exactly as designed and is not actually faulty in some way.

The Support Staff can always be contacted via this LINK.

Hope that assists.

I think the key thing here is often to ensure that the Arc is getting either a Dolby Digital or Dolby Atmos signal properly. Many of these request have turned out to be because the TV, or whatever source device is feeding the TV is set to stereo. 

Note that I said many, and not all.

But as the other respondents have said, it is unlikely that you’ll get any information from Sonos folks if or when such a feature might appear. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks for the replies.

I’m getting the sound from an Nvidia shield using Kodi set to pass through. The reason I use this is to read content from a share network drive.

I do see atmos etc on the sonos app so I know it’s getting through but admit I may have to go back and check each component for issues. 
I’ll do that and see what we can find. 

I just wish we could adjust the centre speakers as in every other home theatre system.

While I don’t expect this to be your issue, be aware that just because the carrier is an Atmos signal, it doesn’t mean that the data ‘inside’ is a full 5.1 or 7.1 signal. 

I read elsewhere on this forum about a beta going on using separated front speakers for Sonos HT users; perhaps this feature will be a part of that beta and there may be hope then for addressing the effect of this compromise in the bar based Sonos systems today.

And since I am not on that beta, nothing stops me from talking about it:-).

So, you’re OK with murder, as long as you’re not doing it yourself?

Bit of a stretch, that. I haven't signed any NDA so I am legally and morally in the clear. Anything said in the open forum is in the public domain.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

We test many features and configurations that never see the light of day in production. Having said that, we would prefer it if users refrained from reiterating details read here when they know that the initial sharing of the information on the forum was in contradiction to an NDA. Even if you have not signed an NDA yourself, we still reserve the right to act in such a way as to preserve the security of said details - which may result in less-than-desirable actions being taken against said users, on the forum.

Even if you have not signed an NDA yourself, we still reserve the right to act in such a way as to preserve the security of said details - which may result in less-than-desirable actions being taken against said users, on the forum.

If and when that is done to me, I also reserve the right to respond to such an action. Unless your action itself achieves that response of course. It may be time I got out of here.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

+1 for this to be added to the ARC.. Even with speech enhancement on, I do find the centre channels needs some umph now and again. Something like what Sonos have added with the height channel. @Corry P 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I read elsewhere on this forum about a beta going on...

I haven't seen Sonos ever mention such a feature exists or is coming so I don't want to discuss that aspect of it.

But as far being able to use a Play 1/3/5 as a FL/FR speaker leaving an Arc/Beam to just do center, height and bass would be cool. I don't see it as a necessary feature but having more modularity in a wireless system is a good thing in the long run (however setup and sound mixing can become complicated as far as software developement goes). I've never had issue with the center channel in my Arc, dialogue is clear for me 

Userlevel 3
Badge

It is not that dialogue is not clear, it is just not loud enough.  We simply want to be able to raise the center channel, just like they gave us the option to raise the up firing atmos channels.

Badge

+1.

For general series watching it's mostly perfect, buy watching atmos context I find my myself constantly adjusting volume up for voice scenes and down for action scenes.

The quality and dialog is all clear, surrounds are amazing. Heights do need a better up firing setup but the whole package works well for me overall.....just need the center to be loader ... It's getting a bit much not being able to adjust it

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

+1 for this feature to be added. even with speech enhancement on and truplay.. I do find I have to raise the volume to hear voices sometimes, but the problem is everything else is then too loud. 

Would also like to see some upfiring rear speakers released, to give the ARC some help with overhead effects.

+1 for this feature to be added. even with speech enhancement on and truplay.. I do find I have to raise the volume to hear voices sometimes, but the problem is everything else is then too loud. 

Would also like to see some upfiring rear speakers released, to give the ARC some help with overhead effects.

Just in case you perhaps haven’t come across it already, there is an option to adjust/boost the ‘overhead effects’ on the Arc within its ‘room settings’ in the Sonos App - you will see there is a slider-bar option to adjust its height audio output.

Userlevel 2

+1 We need that center channel option ASAP!

Im tired of up and down the volume

Userlevel 1

New arc owner , just came from surround setup and instantly noticed the center channel issue..it’s fine but at this price and type of product this is a basic feature to have.

it seems the height channels were added after the fact so it would be strange to omit the center channel option also.

Hope to see this added soon.

Yes please. I am enjoying my new Arc/Sub/One SL’s, but the quality of dialogue when watching normal TV (2.1 audio on 5.1 channels) is poor. It sounds tinny and flat on the Arc — even with speech enhancer on. Would like some extra control here as well.

Userlevel 1

+1, speech sounds very weak.

I am a first time user of Sonos. I have a movie room that is 11’-8”x17’-2”. I put in an Arc, gen3 sub, Ones for the rears. I watch movies and the system sounds good as long as there is no dialogue and the center channel isn’t be asked to do any of the sound effects. I’ve only had it for three or so weeks. I just opened a support ticket. I run the LG 77’ CX with the newest (Gen2) Apple TV 4K. I have quadruple checked all setting in the TV and Apple TV. I had my friend listen to it whom is a Sonos dealer. He said I happen to have a good ear for sound and may need a system that has a standalone center channel that I can fully adjust. He can hear what I am concerned with and agrees the center channel is not loud enough to match the audio. I was ready to upgrade the rears to the Fives and get a second sub but that may not happen now. I am going to install the Gen1 Apple TV to see if that makes a difference and also watch some scenes with a Blu-ray Disc. I want the Sonos to work well (the way I could like it) and not go through wiring separates but I may have no choice. If there is a “repair” for my concern I’ll update this post.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Did trueplay make any improvements?

I did trueplay twice and yes it made the slightest positive difference. Dialogue seemed to come out of the silence a bit. Also, speech enhancement made the slightest difference as well. Kinda made voices higher pitch which helped dialogue be ever so slightly noticeable. I’ve gone through many different movies/scenes all with nearly the same results. I put my ear right up to the Arc to ensure the center channel speakers were all working and they are. I put on Battlefield and moved the volume up to 50-60%. In that little room the sound was big but the voices and what little effects come from the center speakers were so underwhelming. It’s just crazy to me that if this is normal why everyone is not talking about it and why there hasn’t been some kind of update at this point. So if I had to put numbers to it I’d say the whole system if at 60% the center speakers are operating at 35-40% volume. And the speakers working properly sound 100% badass while the center speakers (center channel) actually sound poor. Like the actual sound quality is not up to par like the rest of the speakers sound. The voices and effects don’t sound crisp and clean. Sounds like the center speakers are behind a blanket or something. I’m not s good writer to it is hard for me to describe in words. I have the treble at +10, bass 0, rear +8, sub +8. I’d like to put the bass up more but the dialogue seems to get too deep with someone like The Rock talking. Even if I put the sub up more the crossover doesn’t seem to be able to keep voices from coming through a bit in the Arc.

I just wanted to add my support for something to be done about this. Arc centre channel volume control just like we have surround control would be great, it’s just not loud enough and gets drowned out.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Still hoping this gets introduced soon, watching peaky blinders the other night and had to up the volume to hear speech, but then the music was just too loud when it came on.. adjust speech enhancement but that don’t seem to make any clear difference..