Answered

Wait for playbar 2?

• 18 October 2019
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I wanted to get a Sonos playbar with a sub to make a complete 5.1 set with the stereo pair play 3 that I already owned. Should I wait for the playbar 2? Because the playbar 1 is lacking a lot of feature compared to the beam like airplay 2, hdmi arc, which is very helpful because my tv uses a RF remote so the IR sensor on the playbar can’t pickup the signal. 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 18 October 2019, 04:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Since Sonos doesn’t share their product release roadmap, only announcing a new device weeks before release, it is hard to say when there will be a PLAYBAR 2. If you’re willing to compromise a little bit on width, the Beam would be an outstanding stand in, and is available now. 

Honestly, I have no idea of my TV remote uses RF or IR, it’s been too many years sine I went to a universal remote that handles all of my devices in one handheld remote. And I’ve not seen a single TV remote made, so far, that doesn’t have the ability to send an IR signal instead of an RF one. Probably in order to support all the cable boxes, satellite boxes, DVD players, and Blu-ray players that don’t have RF receivers either. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Since Sonos doesn’t share their product release roadmap, only announcing a new device weeks before release, it is hard to say when there will be a PLAYBAR 2. If you’re willing to compromise a little bit on width, the Beam would be an outstanding stand in, and is available now. 

Honestly, I have no idea of my TV remote uses RF or IR, it’s been too many years sine I went to a universal remote that handles all of my devices in one handheld remote. And I’ve not seen a single TV remote made, so far, that doesn’t have the ability to send an IR signal instead of an RF one. Probably in order to support all the cable boxes, satellite boxes, DVD players, and Blu-ray players that don’t have RF receivers either. 

I actually have the Sonos Beam at home in my bedroom which is about medium to small size. However, when I try to put it in my large Living room with the rear two play 3s, the sound is very small and don’t have enough bass. But the beam is very good because it has hdmi arc and airplay 2. I hope sonos will release an updated version of the playbar

Oh, no argument here. I too, hope for the release of that product. But I’m also realistic to know that they’re not going to tell us if/when that will happen until a few weeks before it does.

Both of my PLAYBARs have an associated SUB bonded with them. I find that it really opens up the PLAYBAR, relieving it from trying to create the low end bass.