Question

Volume to 0 after power on television

• 11 June 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

Very annoying, when I switch off my television and back on later (even if it's after 20 minutes or so), the volume is set back to 0. Have tried it without the Sonos beam (so only television), but that works correctly.

Any suggestions? Running the latest software.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @mandatory,

Is your Beam connected to your TV via HDMI/ARC or via the Optical adapter that was included with your Beam?

When you are watching TV are you using an external input like an Apple TV or cable box or are you using a smart app in the TV itself? Does it make any difference which source you are using?

can you submit a current diagnostic report  from your system. One while the TV is off and one when you first turn it on would be ideal.

If you include your confirmation number(s) in your reply we can look and see what might be causing this.  

Badge +1

Hello @mandatory,

Is your Beam connected to your TV via HDMI/ARC or via the Optical adapter that was included with your Beam?

When you are watching TV are you using an external input like an Apple TV or cable box or are you using a smart app in the TV itself? Does it make any difference which source you are using?

can you submit a current diagnostic report  from your system. One while the TV is off and one when you first turn it on would be ideal.

If you include your confirmation number(s) in your reply we can look and see what might be causing this.  

1. directly via eARC
  2. Combination of those: directly TV, app on TV (Youtube) and external (Android) media-player
  3. Tv on: 523575112
  4. Tv off: 1010212347
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @mandatory,

That’s very odd. What color is the status light on your Beam before and after you turn the TV on?

In the diagnostic, its showing as being on “mute” in diagnostic 1010212347 when the TV is off, do you have or can you test a streaming music source on your Beam?

If you switch back and forth between Spotify and your TV, is there any change in the volume behavior?

Have you also looked to see that the TV itself isn’t set to Mute or there isn’t a remote control that is tripping the volume level?

Can you provide the model number of your Sony TV so we can look into this in a little more detail?

Badge +1
  • Color remains green, not sure overnight - can check that later, only tested it for about 45 minutes off
  • Streaming: not sure how to do that as I have the app on the television, so it's a bit hard to control
  • No, but I used Youtube
  • No, remote is laying next to me doing nothing
  • Sony KD-65ZF9
Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @mandatory,

Thank you for the additional detail in your reply. 

The green light indicates that the speaker is “Muted”. Can you open the Sonos app while the TV is off and select a music source from the browse tab at the bottom of your screen.

Once you have a music selection made either through Spotify, Sonos Radio or Radio by Tune-In, adjust the volume up through the app and test for at least 5-10 minutes before turning the TV on?