Volume of LPCM.

• 10 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

So firstly, I’m glad that support for LPCM finally arrived for Arc :)

Now my problem is: that the LPCM content seem to be significantly quieter than Dolby 5.1 or Atmos content. The latter plays at about 1/5 of the volume level, while LPCM from Apple TV or Nintendo Switch need to be turned up to at least ½ of the volume.

This is problematic at night, for example watching new episode of Mandelorian (Atmos) after playing some games (LPCM) because it wakes everyone in the house before I remember to turn the volume down.

I wonder if there’s any way this could be corrected in next update or possibly setting could be available for different volume level for different type of input?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is it only the volume or even the quality? 
I have an Apple TV with encore and shield to compare, and found noticeable downgrades on the PCM 7.1 encoded playback vs the original atmos trueHD file on Sonos arc. 

does anyone know why ? 

Same issue here with LPCM being a lot quieter than Dolby encoded tracks. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is it only the volume or even the quality? 
I have an Apple TV with encore and shield to compare, and found noticeable downgrades on the PCM 7.1 encoded playback vs the original atmos trueHD file on Sonos arc. 

does anyone know why ? 

No, not the same, sorry.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Having the same issue with volume. Multichannel LPCM in either 5.1 or 7.1 is nowhere near the quality of sound of a Dolby encoded sound. Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Atmos all sound much better than anything delivered as multichanne LPCM. Not sure what the core issue is though.