Volume level sync with TV

• 27 September 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I started using Sonos Arc today with Sony Bravia XR X90J. I can see that there are mulitple layers of volume control. 

1. Volume level control in the App
  2. Volume level control that appears when phone’s volume buttons are pressed (appears as CAST volume control, I am using an android phone)
  3. Volume level control on TV which in turn controls the volume of Arc via HDMI eARC
  4. Master Volume limiter in the App advanced settings

What I have observed is that the volume level displayed on TV is not synronized with what it shows on the Sonos App. Also, Sonos App volume control overrides TV’s volume control - acts like a master volume knob! For example, I kept raising TV volume to 90% and yet, Arc was barely audible. I also checked the volume limiter in the App and it was at 100%. At first, I thought it’s an issue with the overall output of Arc, later I realized the regular volume control on the App was at 10%.

Shouldnt the App’s volume control increase when TV sends command to Arc to increase the volume via eARC port?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Yes it should. It does with my Samsung TV and Beam.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks @106rallye . Somehow it's a hit and miss with Sony Bravia X90j (running on Google tv with Chromecast). And it's a high end latest tv which I am sure many of Sonos users would have. Strange that Sonos never addressed this issue

That sounds like a wifi connection issue, where the Sonos system and your phone isn’t receiving the network data from the Arc.

The Sonos system is sending a network command to the Arc for volume. That data gets passed along the ARC channel to the TV, which executes the command, and then the system on the TV displays what has been done, which nominally should match exactly what’s showing in the Sonos controller. There are not separate volumes in flux here, it’s all the TV set which controls that. You can limit the amount of “how high does it go” commands in the Sonos controller, but then you’re just limiting what commands can be sent to the TV. You could easily override that with the TV’s remote, if you so chose. But there aren’t separate “versions” of the volume, just the one the TV controls. 

My guess is that the TV isn’t sending the proper data back to the Arc, which should be then sending that exact data to your phone. But they all should be showing essentially the same thing. 

I’ve forgotten the exact settings details. I think that your best bet is to set the TV for a fixed output. At least this will prevent the TV’s remote from scaling the TV’s output. TV Volume commands should still be sent to ARC, but the TV might not display the actual ARC values. Unfortunately, a TV update can change this behavior. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

App and tv remote work together for me . You can see the slider move on app in sync when I use the Sony remote .

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Figured it out finally. TV’s volume level and Arc’s volume level (controlled by App) need to be at the same starting position when turned on. Doing this fixed the issue. However, not a lasting solution when you turn off the TV, play some music through the App, change the volume level, turn on the TV a few hours/days later and then again - Arc and TV volume levels will be out of sync.