Answered

Volume Indicators Using HDMI ARC on Sonos Arc

• 19 July 2020
  • 8 replies

I would like to know how to display volume indicators on the TV when using my Sonos Arc and the HDMI (ARC) connection.

I have it connected via HDMI ARC and can confirm that the volume controls work fine, but there is no volume bar indicator so it is impossible to tell how quiet/loud the system is without something playing.

All the research I have done that have this problem is when the TV is connected with Optical, but I am using HDMI ARC into the HDMI (ARC) port on my Samsung UA55MU6103; there is no optical cable connected. 

Additionally, I can confirm that the TV is only using the Sonos Arc to output music, and when I change volume, it displays on the TV as controlling a “receiver” but it only indicates “up” or “down”. 

Thanks for your thoughts, look forward to hearing from you.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 19 July 2020, 08:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

This is dependent on the Television, not the Sonos. I’ve got one TV that displays it, and another that doesn’t. Check the settings on your TV set. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

My Samsung QE65Q90 does the same. Looks like it’s a Samsung thing.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have just moved from a Samsung TV to a Sony.

The Samsung wouldn’t show the volume levels. The Sony does.

I have the same issue, but it is not solely a Samsung issue —my TV (2019 Frame) displayed the volume indicator for my previous soundbar just fine, but gives no indication on Sonos Amp connected with HDMI

How confident are we that the volume shown relates to the Arc, and not to the volume that would apply if the sound were coming through the TV’s internal speakers?  At least in some cases, if not all.

Genuine question - I have no idea.  Just occurred to me as a possibility.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

That would be a poor use of HDMI-CEC. I’ve never used my TV without the Beam, so I can only say what I see: volume lower or higher, but no scale.

I have a Sony Bravia 49XH9505, until recently used without sound bar. After connecting the Sonos Arc, the volume indicator is shown on the screen when I use the remote for the TV, and when I use the remote for the cable box, but not when I use the remote for the AppleTV. The volume still changes when using the AppleTV remote, it is just the indicator that isn´t there. Before the Arc was connected, volume indicator was always shown. 

I have a Sony Bravia 49XH9505, until recently used without sound bar. After connecting the Sonos Arc, the volume indicator is shown on the screen when I use the remote for the TV, and when I use the remote for the cable box, but not when I use the remote for the AppleTV. The volume still changes when using the AppleTV remote, it is just the indicator that isn´t there. Before the Arc was connected, volume indicator was always shown. 

this is EXACTLY my scenario. You ever figure this out? I’d love to get the indicators back when using the Apple TV…