Question

Volume controls of Beam go out of sync with Panasonic TV remote

• 21 February 2020
  • 8 replies

I’ve got a Sonos Beam connected via HDMI ARC to my Panasonic TX-48CX400B tv.  Its all working fine however randomly while working, the volume control on the remote will no longer work on the Beam and reverts back to the TV volume (which is always at zero).  From then on, I can only control the Beam volume via the Sonos app on my phone and the only way to get them back in sync, is to shut both off and leave it a few mins.  This disconnect between the remote and the beam can somtimes happen after a few mins and other times, its still working perfectly hours later.

Any clues on where to start with this head-scratcher?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

After one of these events, submit a diagnostic and post the confirmation number here. SONOS staff can check the diagnostic.

@Paidí Welcome to the Sonos Community and thank you for bringing your question to us. As Buzz has mention, please submit us a diagnostic report and reply back with that report number here. You will also want to confirm the TV settings for the CEC functions are enable properly, as you are using the HDMI Arc connection. If there are any issues in the TV’s CEC settings or there is a disconnect happening you could be losing that communication from your TV remote to the Beam. Also, please let us know the model of your TV remote.

Lastly, you can test with the Songle adapter, that came with your Beam, from the TV to the Beam and setup your TV remote to the Beam using this link. If the issues do not follow the Songle connection this would indicate you may need to talk to your TV manufacture.

Thanks both.  Will do some testing tonight and update on what I find.

Quick update.  I ran into the disconnect of the remote again this evening and generated the dignostic bundle and sent in - confirmation number 1776183832.  Interestingly, in the disconnected state, I went into my tvs menu to the CEC settings and this actually got the beam back in sync with my remote again so not sure what that tells me about this problem.

@Paidí Thank you for the quick follow up and the new diagnostic report. Have you power re-booted the TV from an outlet recently and now notice that the TV CEC functions are now in sync? Things are pointing towards the TV’s CEC settings or HDMI Arc port as the issue. As a catchall from things also showing in your diagnostic report please take these steps:

1. Power off/on your modem/router/extender/access point for 30 seconds with no lights.
  2. As they power back on then power off/on your TV from the outlet for 15 seconds.
  3. As your TV powers on then power off/on your Sonos products for 15 seconds with no lights.

When everything is re-booted please let us know if the issue presents itself again. If yes, then test the Songle, that came with your Beam, and connect from the TV to the Beam with that connection. You can use this link to setup your TV remote to work with the Beam. I would then ask that you follow up if the issue presents itself again in this conflagration along with an new diagnostic report and report number here.

These test will let us know if it is the TV CEC settings, the TV HDMI Arc port or the HDMI Arc cable as the issue.

Another update after a week of testing.  Since resetting the CEC option on my TV, the Beam has worked flawlessly up until yesterday.  For context, this disconnect issue was happening 3 out of 4 times after the tv was on for a couple of minutes.  Yesterday I had one reoccurrence but went back through the menu and its again working perfectly now.  This really does point the finger now at my tv since I didnt do the resets suggested above.

Thank you all for the help, very much appreciated!!

@John G Thank you for the follow up. If you run into any other questions or troubleshooting needs please feel free to reach out to us here in the future. Maybe there are people in the Community dealing with the same TV model and TV communication issues.

If any of the connected boxes executed an automatic update, the CEC might be mixed up again. I tend to keep automatic updates turned OFF. Occasionally, when I’m in the mood for thrashing through “issues” again, I’ll update everything.