Volume control of Living Room system.

• 25 November 2020
  • 3 replies

Hi all,

I have a 55” TCL television.

In my Living Room, I have a Sonos Soundbar, a Sub, and 2x Play 1’s for left/right surround.

I am feeding the Soundbar with a TOSlink cable.

The issue is, I cannot control the volume of the system with the TCL remote. (It only does the TV’s speakers)

I can use the Sonos app on my phone but want to have a solution for any family member who is watching TV, to control volume easily.

Can someone recommend a remote that I could purchase?

Thanks in advance.

-GC

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @GCGalaxy, Thank you for reaching out, and welcome to the community. Sorry to know about this issue on your remote not working on the Sonos soundbar that you have. What soundbar do you use? Kindly check this link on setting up a new TV remote for your home theater system. for instructions on how to set up the remote to your Sonos.

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your response, I have the Sonos PLAYBAR. I understand how to set up the TV remote, but I believe the issue is, that the TCL remote is not IR…Its RF

Its a drag to have to have to use the phone app on each family members phone, so I’m willing to purchase another remote to leave on the table to control the Sonos Living Room system.

Thanks and best regards,

Glenn

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @GCGalaxy, thanks for the update. This article about TV remote requirements for Sonos home theater products might help, since some RF remotes can be converted to IR that could work with Sonos. We can also wait for suggestions and recommendations from our other Sonos community users on what remotes do they use for their Sonos soundbars. 

Keep us posted on how it goes and we're here to answer any further questions you have.