Volume adjustment display Sonos Beam and Samsung TV

• 3 June 2020
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 0 replies

We have had a Sonos beam connected to our Samsung TV for a couple of weeks now. Until today, if you adjusted the volume it displayed on the TV with + or - however today this has disappeared. The volume still changes but there is no actual display. We have made no changes to the set up other than to turn off the loudness setting. How can we get it to display again?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

@ahs Thank you for reaching out to us here and welcome to the Sonos Community. What you are describing sounds like a TV setting has changed or there is something is blocking the TV IR sensor. We do not send a signal to the TV to report the Beam’s volume. What you were likely seeing is the TV still getting an IR signal from the remote and it showing what the TV speaker volume would be, but the TV speakers have been disabled since you setup the Beam.

I just purchased a Samsung Q80T with a Sonos Beam and I’m very pleased.  However, prior to connecting the Beam to the Q80 via the HDMI ARC interface, the TV displayed a numerical value, along with a plus and minus sign when the volume was adjusted via remote.  “Receiver HDMI” is also displayed between the + and -. There are a number of closed posts with the same problem, but no answers. 

Just got the same Samsung Q80t and am experiencing the same issues that Bargie has. If the TV is used without beam, it displays both + and - and the volume level. With the Sonos Beam plugged into HDMI 3 ARC, the beam takes over and nothing is displayed at all. You have to fly blind on volume control if you want to use a Sonos Beam ? really?