Question

Voices echoing when watching movies

• 13 December 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have a Samsung Q75 UHD 4K TV I bought in 2017 for about $6000 so it’s a solid TV, set up with a Sonos Play Bar, Play 1 (left), Play 1 (right) surrounds, and the surround Sub. All these are in my living room for movie playback.

Throughout the apartment are numerous Sonos speakers built into the ceiling but they run on their own and are not grouped with the TV. 

For 3 years I have had no issue with sound playback on any device. I would often run the Sonos TV setup at medium volume, and use the TV’s built in speaker volume to increase or decrease the overall sound depending on time of day, (I don’t like to disturb the neighbors in the apartments below mine and often can’t be bothered to go into my phone to play around with the volume). 

Since my system updated a couple of days ago, I have noticed that the TV output and the Sonos output are not quite synced. This is most noticeable with voices. There is a very distinct echo. If I turn the volume off on either the Sonos or the TV, then the output is fine with no echo.

Is there anyway to reverse the update? 

Or better yet, any way to rectify this situation in the app or on my TV? I have reset everything to no avail.  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Hi.  I am amazed that you haven’t previously had an echo, not that you have one now.  I doubt that anything done in a Sonos update would have affected this.  Sonos HT speakers just play what the TV sends them when they get it.

Depending on which sound is lagging, you may or may not be able to adjust this in the Playbar settings, TV Dialog Sync.  Or maybe there is a setting on the TV.

Otherwise you would have to stick to just the Playbar output and make the effort to open the app, or just use the TV remote, paired to the Playbar.