Answered

Using Sonos Arc with new AVR

• 19 April 2021
  • 8 replies

We recently added a Sonos Arc, Sub and a pair of One SLs to our Sonos system to replace a Denon AVR (with B&W surrounds and Emotiva subs) that died. I love the Sonos system and have been a Sonos customer since the company first started - we have speakers in almost every room in the house.

But something is definitely odd about the Arc. The new system sounds great when listening to music or watching video with no dialog. Dialog, however, is muffled and almost impossible to hear. It doesn’t matter what settings I use in the Sonos app.

It may be that I’m simply getting old (I’ve been an audiophile since the mid-70s) so I decided to try a set of bluetooth headphones with a new preamp/transmitter or go back to the wired system. Lo, there doesn’t appear to be a way to connect the Arc to anything but an eArc input (not output) on a TV. As I understand it, the Arc wants to use the return channel for audio, not the primary, so there’s no way to connect it to a preamp/AVR even if it does have HDMI with eArc out.

Well, says I, I just need an AVR with eArc inputs and eArc outputs. While the latter is common enough today in mid-range AVRs, I have no idea if the former is standard/uncommon/nonexistent.  I’m not a sound engineer and I don’t know if this even makes sense. After all, why would an input device (say, a DVD player) need a return?

I thought I might be able to connect the HDMI output on the Arc to an input on the AVR (assuming the input has an eArc return) and an HDMI eArc output to the TV input (which does have an eArc return), select the correct input, and away we go.

And so, I have several questions:

1. Will this work?
  2. Are there other tricks involved or needed?
  3. What about synch?
  4. Very importantly, is there such a receiver or preamp that will do such a thing?
  5. If I had an HDFury, would that change any of these answers? (Do I need one?)

Thanks so much for any help. I do love our Sonos system.

By the way, I haven’t replaced the Denon yet. I wanted to see if there was anything out there that already does what I’d like it to do. the AVR-X3700H looks interesting but I’m unsure about the inputs, etc.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 19 April 2021, 19:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I thought I might be able to connect the HDMI output on the Arc to an input on the AVR (assuming the input has an eArc return) and an HDMI eArc output to the TV input (which does have an eArc return), select the correct input, and away we go.

The HDMI port on the Arc doesn’t send out audio signals, whether that’s through the primary channel or the Return channel.  It only receives audio through the return channel, as you stated.  In terms of video, the Arc does send out a screensaver image.  Connecting the Arc directly to a receiver won’t accomplish anything as the receiver can’t send audio along the return channel (no receiver does this) and the receiver can’t really do anything with a screensaver image.

Besides, it sounds like you’re not actually addressing the actual issue, which is poor dialog from the Arc.  I would contact Sonos directly for this to diagnosis the issue.  You could have a faulty Arc, something wrong with the TV, or perhaps a setting is off (in case you missed one).  Or maybe rerun trueplay tuning.

The HD Fury  Arcana can take in a normal HDMI signal (audio & video) and split it so video goes to your TV and audio goes to the Arc. Many people use this to get around issues with the audio processing on your TV, or if the TV isn’t eARC capable.  That would resolve your problem if the TV is the issue.  You should not need to send the HDMI through an AVR though.  You could connect Arcana directly to a source, or use an HDMI switch if you have multiple sources.

Userlevel 7

You have quite few things going on in your list. Let’s address the dialogue issue first. What brand/model of TV is the Arc connected to? I or someone else may respond. 

Thank you both for your responses :)

The TV is an LG 65SM9000PUA Smart TV - it’s a relatively small room. And there’s also an Oppo BDP-105D and a cable box connected to the TV (HDMI).

As for addressing the actual issue, you are entirely correct! But once I got playing with the eArc connection, I thought it would be nice to have the audio system set up along side the Sonos system like I used to. Then, of course, I used a Connect and everything ran through the Denon. From your answer, it would seem there is no way to provide audio to the Arc from the AVR (or one of its components) except through the TV.

Hmm. Looking at the Arc, there doesn’t appear to be any way to get audio out of it except via the Sonos lattice network. So a Port is called for (my Connects are useless now because of S2 on the Arc).

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the information. I have an LG Nano 55” with Arc.  Maybe the following may help.

First run a check for LG updates.

My LG audio settings are:

Sound Out is set to HDMI

Additional Settings:

• AV Sync set to 0 with Bypass set to Off
  • HDMI Format set to Bitsteam for all Inputs
  • Digital Sound Out is set to Pass Through
  • eArc set to On

I have my

• Cable box connected to HDMI 1 
  • Apple TV to HDMI 4
  • Panasonic HD DVD Player connected to HDMI 3

From your answer, it would seem there is no way to provide audio to the Arc from the AVR (or one of its components) except through the TV.

There is another way.  HD Fury Arcana.  I said previously that you would not need an AVR and that is true, but you can you can have an AVR between your source and the Arcana (and then on to TV and Arc).  However, if you wanted to have TV audio playing from the AVR and Arc at the same time, they will not likely be in sync.  They certainly wouldn’t active be trying to play in sync.

As far as using the Port with your TV, that would be a good solution for streaming audio sources, but you will have a noticeable sync issue for TV audio.  The Arc will play audio immediately to match video, while the Port is buffered for wireless multiroom audio.

Thank you both again!

Okay, I’ve checked the TV settings and they look the same as yours (except the inputs). eArc input goes to Arc. I’ve turned Loudness off and returned. We’ll see how it is tonight at movie time.

On the connection through Port, I was afraid of the synch issue. This needs more research (by me). I wonder if running the optical from the TV to the AVR would fix the synch problem? Sounds like it should although no Atmos through the AVR. I could use the Port (or Connect) for streaming.

Thank you both again!

Okay, I’ve checked the TV settings and they look the same as yours (except the inputs). eArc input goes to Arc. I’ve turned Loudness off and returned. We’ll see how it is tonight at movie time.

On the connection through Port, I was afraid of the synch issue. This needs more research (by me). I wonder if running the optical from the TV to the AVR would fix the synch problem? Sounds like it should although no Atmos through the AVR. I could use the Port (or Connect) for streaming.

Your TV might not be sending audio through the optical port if it’s sending audio over eARC.  You could try it, but wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t work.  Regardless, the AVR and Arc don’t know they are supposed to play in sync, so it won’t be perfect.  Even then,  the Arc and your AVR would be separately tuned to the room.  I just don’t think it’s going to the positive effects you think it will.