Answered

Using Sonos Arc in an open plan lounge

• 19 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a Sonos Arc for my lounge. There are no side walls either side of the TV although we have a 2 meter odd ceiling. Does the arc rely on side walls or does it only bounce sound off of ceilings and the wall behind the sofa? Any guidance appreciated

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 19 June 2020, 01:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @User77023 

The Arc when not used with Sonos surrounds will employ it’s side speakers (left/right end) to bounce sound off adjacent walls to help with the surround effect. The upward firing speakers also contribute in this scenario.

As with any Dolby Atmos AIO speaker the more rectangular the room with 8 ft. ceilings the better the 3D effect. My room measures 13ft wide x 20ft long x 8ft high. Arc is 2.75ft from wall, 2.5ft rom left wall and 6.5ft front right wall. Seating is 12ft from Arc.

I don’t know what the maximum distance is for the Arc to reflect sound off walls. I’d say if you’re at great distances_left/right_you might consider adding surrounds.

FYi...The Arc has no rear firing speakers.

My complete setup consists of Arc with Sonos sub and surrounds. 

Badge +1

Thanks for the response. I suspect I will need to get a pair of play 1 for rears in that case. It's not a simple rectangular room