Answered

Using HDMI ARC and TV Speakers

• 1 February 2021
  • 3 replies

I have a new Sonos Amp and have connected my TV using HDMI ARC. All works great. 
I don’t always want the sound through my Amp, however. When my kids are watching stuff I’d prefer to use the TV sound. 
I’ve turned OFF TV Autoplay but that doesn’t seem to do anything. Everything always comes out of the Amp. Even if I turn off ARC in my TV settings, somehow it gets turned back on automatically next time I turn on the TV (LG C8). 
My only option presently is to keep unplugging the HDMI cable from the Amp. 
Any ideas? Is it possible to switch between my Amp and TV sound?

thanks. 

icon

Best answer by John B 1 February 2021, 12:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi.  Turning off affects how Sonos treats TV sources versus music sources, not sound from TV speakers versus Sonos speaker.

There is no possible way that this could be controlled from Sonos.  It would require you to change the TV sound settings for audio out to ‘internal speakers’ or ‘HDMI/optical’ as required.

One other idea comes to me, although I am not sure that it is possible and practical.  My LG TV, from the year after yours, has a setting to play on the internal and external speakers at the same time.  I wonder if you could mute one or the other?

Or you could just forget this idea, and use the Sonos for sound at all times.

Thanks for the reply. Even when I set the TV sound back to internal speakers, it recognises the Sonos when turned back on (next time I watch Tv) and reverts back to playing through the Amp. 
The main issue is that the kids watch Kids YouTube and Netflix and the Kids YouTube volume can change drastically from one video to the next. I worry about damaging my Monitor Audios. 

You could set a volume limit on the Amp.