Using Ceiling Speakers as Satelite Speakers

• 30 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I’m probably not the first to suggest this, but why doesn’t Sonos allow us to use their ceiling speakers as satellite speakers (not rear speakers) in a Dolby Atmos setup? I own the arc, and no matter what I try, I can’t hear any sounds from above me. I’ve tried turning up the upward firing speakers in the app, but all it does it make it louder. I can still easily tell that the sound is coming from right in front of me instead of above me. My ideal setup is to be able to use 4 ceiling speakers in total: two in the front and two in the back for complete immersion. I hope Sonos is listening and adds this functionality asap!

thanks for reading and feel free to provide perspective!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Describe your setup. How tall are your ceilings? Are they flat and without obstruction? How far are you seated from the Arc? Ideally you need 8–9 ft flat ceilings and sit 6–8 ft away from the Arc.

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I’m probably not the first to suggest this, but why doesn’t Sonos allow us to use their ceiling speakers as satellite speakers (not rear speakers) in a Dolby Atmos setup?

1 - Because it would be a clear indication to customers that Sonos doesn’t have much confidence in the upfring/atmos speakers in the Arc.

2 - Because customers would not want to pay for upfiring speakers if the are never going to use them.

3 - Because customers would also ask for the option to mount Sonos Ones on the ceiling.

4 - Because the Arc would then need to make 1 or 2 extra wireless connections, potentially making the system less stable.

5 - Because it would be another setup scenario that Sonos would have to provide trueplay tuning for.

5 - Because a large percentage of the customers who can install ceiling speakers  for home theatre do not need a wireless home theatre system, and would opt for a fully wired system, with separate front speakers instead of a soundbar, etc.

I’m not saying it won’t ever happen, just that there are valid reason why Sonos doesn’t allow for this configuration, even if it potentially means selling more amps/speakers.