Skip to main content

Dear Team Sonos,

Please work towards allowing the bigger portable models (like the Move 2) to be used as surround sound speakers on demand. E.g., I’d love to have a couple of Move 2 as surrounds for my Beam 2 at home (with all the benefits of cordless regarding practicality, etc.), that I can move to my garden in the weekend to play music when having friends over for BBQ. :)

It will be a killer feature, and one thing I really miss from back in the day when I had Philips Fidelio sound bar (though I would not replace my Beam 2 for that nowadays, if Philips could do it back then, I’m sure it’s easy for Sonos 🙂https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/B5_12/fidelio-soundbar-soundbar-speaker)

Thank you in advance for considering this. 

Hello @ShamanPrime, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve marked this thread as a feature request and forwarded to the appropriate teams for consideration.

I’ve seen similar threads in the past here in our Community. As more people request this, higher the chances of the feature request to be noticed and implemented.

Thank you for the post.

Dear Team Sonos,

Please work towards allowing the bigger portable models (like the Move 2) to be used as surround sound speakers on demand. E.g., I’d love to have a couple of Move 2 as surrounds for my Beam 2 at home (with all the benefits of cordless regarding practicality, etc.), that I can move to my garden in the weekend to play music when having friends over for BBQ. :)

It will be a killer feature, and one thing I really miss from back in the day when I had Philips Fidelio sound bar (though I would not replace my Beam 2 for that nowadays, if Philips could do it back then, I’m sure it’s easy for Sonos 🙂https://www.philips.com.sg/c-p/B5_12/fidelio-soundbar-soundbar-speaker)

I don’t know the extent of the complexity but don’t forget Sonos surround speakers bond to the soundbar in the home theatre setup, taking the signal directly from the soundbar using a dedicated wifi to ensure things remain in sync. Not sure what the act of shifting one into the garden would do to the fundamental bond that keeps the surrounds in sync. It would need to unbond, then connect to the home wifi, then re-bond when you put it back… Not beyond the realms of possibility of course, but possible also not simple.

Dear Team Sonos,

I don’t know the extent of the complexity but don’t forget Sonos surround speakers bond to the soundbar in the home theatre setup, taking the signal directly from the soundbar using a dedicated wifi to ensure things remain in sync. Not sure what the act of shifting one into the garden would do to the fundamental bond that keeps the surrounds in sync. It would need to unbond, then connect to the home wifi, then re-bond when you put it back… Not beyond the realms of possibility of course, but possible also not simple.

Sure, there would need to be a way to toggle between the independent (i.e., the default current “behavior” for speakers like the Move2) to synced w. sound bar (for HT) operation mode, on demand. That could happen either via the app (as we do now to sync speakers to play the same or different music in each room) and/or with the buttons on the speakers (re-programmed or with dedicated hardware changes in future releases, like the Move 3 or something). :)