Answered

Using AMP for multiple groups/purposes

• 30 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Ok, so I bought an amp for three of the advertised functions, and I’ve only been able to get one of them setup successfully so far.

1.  Using amp to power two Polk outdoor speaker.  Works great, sounds great!
  2. Using the amp to power a second sub for my home theater with Arc, Sonos SUB, and Era 300s.  I can’t figure out how to use AMP with multiple setups.
  3. Use the line in to play records, etc through the home theater setup.

What is possible and what isn’t?  I haven’t been able to get my polk sub to play at all. Even if its just paired with the outdoor speakers.  It get connected, but no sound.

All of the features of the amp made it seem like a really good product for me, but not if I can only use one of them.  Thanks in advance for any help.  I’m fairly new to Sonos and I come from a more traditional home theater background.

icon

Best answer by John B 30 June 2023, 22:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi.  You cannot do 2, you can do 3.

Like all Sonos devices, the Amp can only be part of one ‘room’.  This is fundamental to the Sonos system architecture.  Your Amp is one room, and your Arc, Sonos Sub, and Eras form another room, in which the Arc is the controlling device.  

You could add a second Sonos Sub to your Arc room without any need for an Amp.  But a third party sub simply cannot be added to an Arc-based room.  You could use your third party sub in your Amp room.

To accomplish point 3, connect your turntable to the Amp’s line-in.  In the Amp’s settings, set the Autoplay Room to be your Arc room.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the help John.  Its unfortunate but not too much of a deal breaker.  The Sonos sub has some pretty good kick once I kick it up to about 8 or so.  I was really hoping to get some use out of this Polk sub but I don’t plan on putting it outside.  So there’s no way to integrate the sub from the amp with the Arc?  Wonder why its so hard for the sub signal to be sent wirelessly.  I would be able to integrate surrounds to it right?  Whats the difference?

Line-In, HDMI, and Subwoofer output are disabled when AMP is configured for surround.