Question

Using a Non-Sonos Sub on a home theatre set up.

• 16 February 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi. I have a Playbar that's working fine with a Panasonic TV.
I want to add a couple of my own (non Sonos) rear speakers using a Connect-Amp and I understand how to do this. However, can I also connect my own (non Sonos) Sub to this system? (I understand that the Sub output from the Connect-Amp is disabled if the Connect-Amp is used for the rear speakers.)
Grateful for any advice on the best way to do this before I splash out on the Connect-Amp!!
Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No. You cannot do that
Take a look at this thread: https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/creating-5-1-with-non-sonos-subwoofer-5873599/index3.html#post16148781

This is something a ton of people are asking for, including me.
Unfortunately, even if the sub output worked when the Connect:Amp is used in surround mode, it is only capable of receiving two channels, which are the left and right surround channels. You could never route the '.1' sub channel to the unit, so the only sound from the sub would be the very little bass present in the surround channels. This is more than likely why the sub output is disabled in the first place. In short, it is impossible to do.
Unfortunately, even if the sub output worked when the Connect:Amp is used in surround mode, it is only capable of receiving two channels, which are the left and right surround channels. You could never route the '.1' sub channel to the unit, so the only sound from the sub would be the very little bass present in the surround channels. This is more than likely why the sub output is disabled in the first place. In short, it is impossible to do.And I would add that Sonos could easily have not made the C:A usable for surrounds at all. It wasn't really suitable as it lacked 5Ghz capability, but Sonos found a wired solution so as to offer that extra possibility.
This is not a perfect solution because PLAYBAR will not be aware of the subwoofer crossover and you'll need to fuss with PLAYBAR's Lipsync, but you could use a CONNECT:AMP with only a subwoofer connected (no left & right speakers). The PLAYBAR and CONNECT:AMP would be Grouped. If you have only one CONNECT:AMP, you'll need to choose between surround or subwoofer.