Answered

use of Sonos Architectural in Ceiling as surround speakers with a connect amp

• 28 May 2019
  • 2 replies

Badge +1
I have a playbar connected to my LG OLED 55" TV via optical connection. I would like to add rear surround speakers. I was considering a pair of Play1s for this purpose. However, since the Architectural in Ceiling speakers are now available would this be a good option? there are a pair of unused speakers from my house's original owner already in place in the ceiling so this would be an easy install.

Questions:
  1. Dolby surround speakers are supposed to be 1 foot above ear level. Would using "ambient" speakers at ceiling level degrade the listening experience?
  2. . I realize the Architectural in Ceiling speakers were intended to be used with the Sonos AMP. However, I have an unused Connect AMP. Would it be possible to use this unit, instead? if it is possible: would I loose performance or features by doing so?
  3. Would I still need to run Ethernet cables to the Playbar and the Connect AMP?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 May 2019, 21:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

1) That's generally assumed to be a personal thing. I've had it both ways, and after using the Sonos TruePlay feature on my speakers, I didn't perceive any significant difference. Your ears may vary. :)

2) Yes, you should (I think) be able to use the CONNECT:AMP to drive them. Note, however, that the CONNECT:AMP doesn't have a 5Ghz antenna in it, so it will require a wired connection to your PLAYBAR. Additionally, I don't believe that you'll be able to use TruePlay with the CONNECT:AMP...but I'm not 100% sure.

3) Answered in 2).
Note that the challenge in putting surround speakers "above" you makes it harder for the system to do "behind", as is traditionally what they're used for.

So if they're over your head, and in front of you, as opposed to directly above or slightly behind your head/listening position, you may have some cognitive dissonance.