Use Move speakers as surrounds

• 13 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello Sonos Team

I recently bought two move speakers to use as surrounds with a Beam for my covid friendly outdoor movie setup. I did this before reading or searching to see if it was possible. I assumed it was and ordered away. I now know it is not possible. 

Any chance this Moves will be able to sync with Beam/Arc in the future? Not to distant future. 

Maybe also something on the product page that says that this is not possible.

Victor

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Like the place on the product page under FAQs where it says:

Can I use two Moves as home theater surrounds?

No.

Not to ruin your desire, which I completely understand,  the fact that the speakers are not capable of joining a SonosNet signal indicates it’s unlikely to ever be able to ‘bond’ with a Sonos sound bar or Sonos Amp. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Like the place on the product page under FAQs where it says:

Can I use two Moves as home theater surrounds?

No.

Not to ruin your desire, which I completely understand,  the fact that the speakers are not capable of joining a SonosNet signal indicates it’s unlikely to ever be able to ‘bond’ with a Sonos sound bar or Sonos Amp. 

Is it not ever going to capable - i.e missing a components that would be required - or not implemented? Granted net result to end user is the same. But do we know for a fact they could not implement this via a firmware update if they choose to invest the time? I don’t know so genuine question. Thanks. 

I would be surprised if the hardware is incapable of supporting this feature.  But I don't know that and it's possible. 

Either way, Sonos must have thought long and hard about not allowing it. I suspect Sonos have decided that HT systems are meant to be semi permanent and the Move... well the clue is in the name.

A better option in just about every way would be two One SLs for surrounds, staying put, and a Move for on tbe move.