Question

unable to turn off beam and use wireless headphones

• 31 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi, I purchased a Sonos beam recently and I am unable to use Bluetooth headphone unless I unplug the beam. Baby is slightly a bit to young to appreciate the beam sound quality even with night mode turned on. Is there a software update coming soon that will allow me to turn off the beam so I can use headphones? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You could add a switch to the HDMI line so that you could easily disconnect the Beam from your TV.

I did that over Christmas to allow me to play our Christmas music over the Beam while watching our fake fireplace on the TV.

The Beam did do a great job on the fireplace audio though. :-)

Same question here. 

The software update you’re looking for is a change in the HDMI-CEC spec as implemented by all manufacturers. Unfortunately unlikely to occur. I’d recommend connecting the Beam via the optical port on your TV, to remove the HDMI-CEC control of what the TV thinks is ‘the speaker’.  That way, you have more control over your system. 

Userlevel 2

I have my sonos beam connected through a £15 alexa enabled power plug, so i say to alexa "turn beam off" and it switchhes the power off the beam and i can then use my bluetooth headphones. I also have a routine that runs at 10am each morning to turn the beam back on. I do  have seveal alexa devices in my house so it doesnt rely in the voice control in the beam