Question

Unable to create surround sound group with new Playbar

• 29 January 2018
  • 5 replies

So we have had 2 Play:1 speakers for a few years now, no issues, one each in our family room and dining room for ambient music.

Decided to switch our family room surround sound to Sonos as the wire clutter is annoying in this room. To start off with we just purchased the SoundBar and a pair of Sonos One's.

No issues having all 5 speakers in the house connected, we can play each independently or in various mixed groups successfully, however we cannot get the Soundbar to create a surround sound setup with either the Play:1s or the Sonos One's.

Each time we attempt it, it fails and then drops the pair of speakers off the digital controller (but not the Soundbar). The wireless router is located in the same room as all speakers. None of the speakers are hard wired although I did try hard wiring the Soundbar to see if I could resolve the issue, no dice.

Help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hello there, NurseLizz. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. Would you mind submitting a diagnostic report of your system while the PLAYBAR is plugged directly into the router via Ethernet cable? Be sure to reply with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end.

Thanks in advance!
Thank you Keith N, I have submitted diagnostic report #8432099
Thank you Keith N, I have submitted diagnostic report #8432099

And to add, suddenly this afternoon after re-adding the speakers for the umpteenth time and hardwiring the soundbar once again, the surround setup is currently working (I did note and complete an update for the Android Sonos controller this morning). This of course means we lose the option of grouping the other pair of speakers which we would like to be able to accomplish at some point....but this is better than nothing.
Thanks for the diagnostic report. There seems to be a bit of a mix up regarding how data should be routed along Sonos. Some of your components are sending data through the wired PLAYBAR and a number of other devices are talking to the network over wireless through your extender.

I would recommend giving our support technicians a call to sort this out in real time. They are able to create a remote session with you to take a closer look at how everything is set up and how data is being routed along the network.
Brilliant thank you, I will give a call soon when I can!