Answered

Unable to connect Sonos after change of internet provider

• 24 August 2019
  • 6 replies

I have a play 1 speaker. I am unable to connect Sonos to the new provider. I have followed the instructions, but when I try to connect via settings - wifi, sonos network is not offered to me. I have also tried the alternative method that's offered using an ethernet cable, but I get a message advising me to check the power and/or the cable connection.

Any suggestions regarding what I can do next?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 25 August 2019, 00:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

What are you connecting the ethernet cable to? Is it a wifi extender of some type, or is it the router itself? Have you checked to make sure that your controller device is connected to the same signal as the speaker? Have you actually tried a new ethernet cable?
Thanks for responding. I'm connecting the cable got the router. I've not tried a new cable but the cable works with another device. I don't know how to check whether the controller is connected to the same signal as the speaker.
Hmmm. Looking at my PLAY::1s, there is indeed only one ethernet port, otherwise I'd suggest trying the "other" one, just in case. But, since that's not an option, I'd certainly try taking the ethernet cable out and trying to click it back in. Just in case it didn't make a true connection.

What device do you have the controller on? Can you check to see what wifi signal it's connected to? It might even be helpful to erase its wifi connection completely, and set up a new one. I'm wondering if the problem we're dealing with is that the device you're using the controller on isn't actually connected to the same wifi signal that the speaker is on. It's entirely possible that it's still looking for your old SSID, and not finding it, is connecting to a LTE signal, rather than your local wifi signal...under the assumption that we're talking about a phone device of some type.
Yes, the problem is that my phone is connected to the new internet provider, but the speaker isn't. The set up guidance says that to connect to the same wifi signal, I must first choose the Sonos network from my phone settings. However, the Sonos network is not offered to me as a network option.
Does the speaker show up on the controller at all?

Once you've set it up, you won't "see" the Sonos network anymore, that's only an out of the box process.

If you've got the speaker connected to your router with an ethernet cable, and your phone is connected to that wifi, then you should be able to "see" the speaker in your controller, and then go in and set up the new wifi SSID and password.

There's a great reference here: New router - installation instructions.
I tried again this evening using the ethernet cable and it's worked. I'm connected again. Many thanks for your help.