Ultimate Home Theater System

• 14 October 2018
  • 3 replies

When I set out to build a home theater system, I looked at different brands that offer floorstanding, bookshelf, in-wall, etc. I continued running into a road block where I felt my investment would not be worth anything if I decided to sell. Not the best way to approach a system but spending $500-900 per speaker, I knew that I would not even get 50% of that out of the speaker if I had to sell the system.

Already being in the Sonos eco-system throughout the house, I wanted something more than a PlayBase or PlayBar type product so I went out on a limb to do something a little different.

I researched different receivers and found one that was feature packed with pre-amp outputs for the surround sound channels.

I purchased seven Play 5 units and already own two dedicated powered subs. (JL Audio Dominion's)

With an 1/8" to RCA connector, I wired each speaker to the dedicated pre-amp output. Each Play 5 is set to AUX in.

After setting the receiver's output to 120Hz and dialing in the distances, dialing in the subs to handle the low end, and getting the speakers in the correct position, I have to say, this is one amazing home theater system.

I am sure floor standing speakers probably sound a little better since they can handle more power and have larger drivers but so far this system is nothing but impressive.

If I ever have to part with the system, now I have multiple smart speakers that would be more desirable to a wider audience than a set of floor standing speakers. Not to mention, easily shippable across the country unlike a large set of speakers.

I have read where many say that Sonos is a software company and not a speaker company. They have been able to get a lot of output from a small driver and have done it in a very smart way. Some of the speakers use Peerless drivers which are the same drivers that many high end home audio companies use so I feel they have a great product that is complemented with amazing software.

For a killer home audio system, with resell value, a classy look, and not being like everyone else, I suggest going this route.

Thank you for reading and good luck with your system design!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

My suggestion for a future product from Sonos would be to offer a non powered home audio receiver without all the BS. Most receivers with power range from $600-2000, Sonos could launch a receiver without all the BS that adds cost. No need for BT, Pandora, Spotify, FM/AM, and anything else that has a licensing fee attached. Keep it clean and simple. Allow the output to match the input on the Play 5 pieces and match the new AMP. With a CONNECT built in, plus a full pre-amp system, the piece would be a home run to destroy the home receiver market plus it would be easy to operate and navigate. Keep the unit slim or thin, clean display, minimal buttons, and sleek appearance So many receiver brands, with so many models across each brand, Sonos could have one or two and kill the market. Of course, there will be the CI guys that will have issues with it but if there was a $2000 CI version, then all parties are happy. Own the front end, mid end, and back end...GO SONOS!
Has anyone else done anything similar using the Play 5 units?
Similar to what? Your earlier post, or the post before that?

Sonos doesn't really consider themselves as a Home Theater company, more of a home music, with an add on of home theater. If I was to build an "ultimate" home theater, I honestly wouldn't use Sonos. It's perfect for my living room (and my bedroom), but for a true home theater, there's just too many limitations involved.