TVs supporting Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital?

• 26 November 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi, in the process of updating my TV. Want to make it future proof but also keep working with existing Sonos cinema system which uses a Playbar, 2xPlay 1 and Sonos sub. When I have the money I’ll replace the playbar with the Arc.

I’ve been searching for a Smart TV that supports both Dolby Atmos and Dolby Digital. Alexa support would also be good but not essential.

Thought I had found a good economical match with the Philips 43PUS7855 until I realised there was no mention of Dolby Digital in the spec. 

I’ve seen Sony Bravia is a good match but a tad large and expensive for my room!

Any suggestions and practical experience from you guys and gals?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Its frankly a crapshoot because HDMI 2.1 and eARC have proven to be a compatibility nightmare.

I would tend towards LG.

Philips have a terrible track record of pass-thru problems and firmware updates.

Sony and Samsung have issues right now, seem to be fixing them but slowly. Both companies have released firmware that makes other things worse in the last month or so.

LG has had issues, but IMHO has the best record of fixing them quickly without breaking stuff.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Thanks to @controlav for his suggestions. I’ve spent a lot of time looking at specs that meet my requirements, but only found one tv that appears to meet them all. This is the PANASONIC TX-40HX800B.

Does anyone have experience of how reliably this works with the Playbar and/or Arc?