TV remote for grouped devices issue

Userlevel 2
When I group a Connect AMP and Playbar (which is connected to a TV), I can't control the volume using the TV's remote as a group, it only adjusts the volume of the play bar. This means I have to reset the balance of the speakers within the group everytime someone adjusts the volume using the TV remote. This is a real pain. Is there a way the group volume can be controlled by the TV remote?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

77 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello, When paired with a PLAYBAR, a TV remote is capable of adjusting the PLAYBAR's volume, as well as any units that are in a bonded group with the PLAYBAR. This would potentially include a SUB and rear surround PLAY:3 units. Since the CONNECT:AMP cannot be in a bonded group with the PLAYBAR (only a regular group), the TV remote will not be able to adjust its volume. However, if you'd like to see a feature like this from Sonos in the future, I can switch this over to an Idea thread so others can comment and +1 on your feedback too.
Userlevel 2
Hi Ryan, It would be a welcome enhancement. However, I do this this is a bug rather than an enhancement. The reason for this is that you have a checkbox on the room settings that ungroups the play bar if the TV is switched on. The inverse of this, should be that control of the volume from the output of the TV, controls the whole group in which the playbar belongs. As an end user, I really don't see a distinction between a bonded group and a non bonded group from a volume control perspective. Its current implementation just causes frustration, as you have to keep re-adjusting the balance of the group of speakers when someone adjust the volume using the TV buttons. This really goes against you philosophy of simplistic design and use. Regards Peter
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello Peter, Here's a bit more info on the difference between Grouped players and Bonded players: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1930 The main distinction is that Bonded players are grouped semi-permanently and operate as one big unit, thus the unified volume control. Grouped players are in a temporary group and are still identified as individual units with separate volume controls. I'll switch this over to the Share an Idea section so others can +1 as a feature request.
Userlevel 2
Hi Ryan, Thank you for the additional information. However, whilst it explains how bonded and and group systems work, its not really addressing that actual issue. Whilst you can still individually control volumes within a group using the user interfaces, there is still a master control that controls all devices within the group. It should follow (my belief) that any controller used on a grouped device (inc. TV buttons) should act as a master volume controller rather that adjust an individual device. Therefore, I'm still of the belief that this is a bug, not an enhancement. I really think you should discuss this internally, as the current implementation from an end user perspective is simply wrong. In fact, it hard to believe why its current implementation would make sense in practical use. I therefore, ask you to reconsider your position with regards to categorising this as a feature rather than a bug. Regards Peter
Hi Ryan, Thank you for the additional information. However, whilst it explains how bonded and and group systems work, its not really addressing that actual issue. Whilst you can still individually control volumes within a group using the user interfaces, there is still a master control that controls all devices within the group. It should follow (my belief) that any controller used on a grouped device (inc. TV buttons) should act as a master volume controller rather that adjust an individual device. Therefore, I'm still of the belief that this is a bug, not an enhancement. I really think you should discuss this internally, as the current implementation from an end user perspective is simply wrong. In fact, it hard to believe why its current implementation would make sense in practical use. I therefore, ask you to reconsider your position with regards to categorising this as a feature rather than a bug. Regards Peter
Personally, I disagree. I do not want my TV remote controlling all grouped devices. Nor does it logically follow that it should, in my personal opinion. I'm with Sonos on this one, it is not a bug.
Userlevel 2
That's interesting, can you tell me why, when you have balanced a set of speakers in a group and you change the volume using a TV remote that you wouldn't want the rest of the group to be adjusted proportionately.
Userlevel 2
Let me clarify a scenario, you have a play bar and connect amp running ceiling speakers, which are all grouped to get an amazing sound. Someone tell you to turn the volume down, you pick up a TV remote and it only turns down half the speakers. You then have to use another device to turn the other set down. Does this make sense?
Because when I group speakers, it is across rooms, and the volume I have set in one room is not necessarily the volume I want in another room. Example: Super Bowl party, with the sound from the living room TV broadcast going to the bathroom, the kitchen and a sun room, so people can roam around and still hear the game. If the main gathering of guests in the living room gets loud enough to have to raise the volume a significant amount, I certainly don't want the other rooms being raised the same amount.
"Let me clarify a scenario, you have a play bar and connect amp running ceiling speakers, which are all grouped to get an amazing sound. Someone tell you to turn the volume down, you pick up a TV remote and it only turns down half the speakers. You then have to use another device to turn the other set down. Does this make sense?" I would never, ever do this. In fact, I don't consider this "amazing sound", I consider this a mishmash which ruins the sound. I prefer the directionality of 2 stereo speakers (or 5 speakers + sub in a true 5.1 configuration) played as designed. YMMV.
Userlevel 2
well, perhaps you wouldn't. But I have a finely crafted kitchen which I don't want to spoil by placing Play5's and 3's everywhere.
It has nothing to do with the architecture, it has to do with the sound. I would never group ceiling speakers with my Playbar within hearing distance of each other because 5.1 directional sound would be ruined with some of the voices coming from another room. As I said, YMMV. And how exactly do you know I don't have a "finely crafted kitchen" or that I have placed "Play5's and 3's everywhere"? I never mentioned what gear I have, except for a Playbar. Rather assumptive, no?
Userlevel 2
I can sense you're getting upset about this, I wasn't making any assumptions on what you have or don't have, it was more a statement on taste, clearly, yours is different to mine, which is fine. I'm afraid I don't understand your use of acronyms, so you'd have to explain further if you'd like a response. Getting back to the issue, all I was asking Sonos for is a consistent use of remote functionally on a group. You're scenario is as valid as mine.
YMMV is "your mileage may vary". And I'm not upset; I'm a bit annoyed at the thinly disguised suggestion that your tastes are more geared to the "finely crafted" and somehow superior to mine. People can disagree without playing cheap games of one-upsmanship (especially when one has no idea of the class or tastes of the other participants). And you are are correct, your scenario is just as valid as mine, when taking things like decor into account. However, my scenario is only concerned with the actual audio quality. Last I checked, Sonos is an audio company, not an interior design company.
In addition to my comments above, I see the Playbar volume as analogous to the volume buttons on the other Sonos players. When you use the volume buttons on the other Sonos players, they control that player and that player only (plus any bonded players). The Playbar volume control acts the same way.
Userlevel 2
I thank you for your opinion, but I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree on this subject, as I see the TV remote the same as other Sonos remotes, it should effect the master volume control.
Same here... Playbar + Play 1 in one Group. With the IR-Remote only adjust the Volume from the Playbar.
This would be very useful!  Due to the layout of my condo, I decided to opt (at least for now) for only one Play:3 to use with my playbar, and encountered the same grouping/volume control issue.
I'm with Peter on this one.  Anytime I group a zone with my Playbar, for instance my Connect AMP, I want to be able to turn down my Connect AMP when I turn down my Playbar volume with my remote. Having to adjust the volume on my Connect Amp within the Sonos app is a real pain. 
I agree with the original post....this is a bug. If I have multiple speakers in my tv room grouped I want my IR remote to adjust them all together. Otherwise what the hell is the point? I have multiple speakers set up in my tv room beyond the play bar and surrounds. It is common sense that they would all adjust together and a BUG or bad programming that it is not even an option.
+1 for me, I have Playbar in living-room and a Play1 in the open kitchen, would like to control the volume for the group with my tv remote.
It's a pity Sonos does not respond to our questions.
The new beta controller v5 is only a other skin on android ( don't like it, to much white) but no improvement on our problem.
Userlevel 2
+1 for me too. I had this issue with my playbar grouped with a pair of play3s. It was very annoying, but most of the time i kept them bonded, because it was even more annoying to redo the whole stereo to 5.1 setup wenn you split the speakers from the playbar.
Now i tried to use the speakers with my logitech harmony hub. And from the start it felt like it should have been like this from the beginning. Similar to the Play/Pause-Button-Change. The only problem is, you can't change the Volume for the whole group. So you end using the apps only for Volume adjustment, what is very disappointing. PLEASE add the option in the software and for Logitech to make a Mastervolume!

Userlevel 1
Badge
Still waiting for any news about this feature. Its absolutely needed. Please Sonos!
+1. I have a Play:1 in the kitchen grouped to the Playbar to fill in TV sound in the kitchen. I would like my TV remote to be a master volume control for the entire group. Probably should be implemented as an option in Settings.
+1 here as well, as it is quite annoying to have to mess with a separate controller to adjust the volume. I agree it would be best configured as an option.
I have read this thread....and my comments are...I have a SONOS playbar, bridge, sub, and 2 play 1 speakers....the sub and playbar are next to the TV (65" Panasonic 4K HDTV) and the 2 play 1 speakers are in the back of the room......you need to add a software fix so that the TV remote will control the 2 play 1 speakers when they are paired with the playbar....I don't want 5.1 sound...what I want is for the same sound to come out of the rear speakers that come out of the playbar....and I can't do this... you need to work on a fix..we ALL should have a CHOICE as to how we want our systems set up...and for $2000.00 that we paid this should have been done already.