Question

TV auto play and line in autoplay

• 29 May 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello. I’m having the same issue as the original poster (OP) on this page: https://en.community.sonos.com/components-228996/how-does-autoplay-on-new-sonos-amp-work-6816973

I would have posted my concern on that thread  but since it was locked, I had no choice but to make a new thread.

My issue is as follows:

I am using the new Sonos Amp. I have the audio from my Samsung TV (Q8FN) going back to the Sonos Amp via the ARC on the hdmi cable connected to the rear of the Sonos Amp. I also have a different source connected via RCA line in on the rear of the Sonos Amp. While the TV is on the audio plays without issue. Also while the TV is on, I am not able to hear the line in source (which happens to be an amazon echo dot). Although I would prefer to have more options/flexibility in the settings (more on this later), I do understand that while the TV is on, the Amp should prioritize the TV audio over the line in audio. However, my issue is that when the TV is powered off, and there is no audio coming from the TV, the Amp remains on the TV source even while audio is playing on the line in source. I have to manually go into the Sonos app and change the source selection back to the line in source to hear the audio. “Auto play” does not work.

Based on the comment from the Sonos representative in previously referenced forum, I understand that this is not the way things should function. Once the TV is powered off, the Amp should switch back to the line in source when audio is present on the line in source. 

I have read that Sonos plans to have a major system update and app refresh (Sonos S2) in June. My question is, will this issue be corrected then? Also, is there any way, that I am not aware of, to correct the problem now?

Ideally, I think it would be even better if the app allowed the user the option to mix the TV audio (via HDMI ARC) with the line in audio (via RCA) and play them as one source. That way, even if the TV is on, the user, optionally, could still hear the audio from the line in source. This would be especially useful when the line in source is an amazon echo, google home, or other voice assistant. Again, this should be optional for the user, since this would not work well in every scenario involving a line in source. Could this feature be suggested/ recommended to the development team? 

All help is appreciated!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

@Ndd92 Thank you for the feedback and bringing your concerns to us in the Sonos Community. I will gladly pass along your feature request to our Sonos engineers. I am not certain to what the issue is as I am not aware of the Amazon Echo Dot device having a line-out feature to line-in on the Amp. If you have referenced our line-in settings page. Do you have autoplay disable or enable for the Amp setup as your Home Theater room? If you have it enabled then the Amp will autoplay the new TV audio signal when the TV is turned on. When the TV is off you would then have to go in the Sonos app under browse and select the line-in source to then play out of the Amp from a CD player or turntable that may need a pre-amp. I am not aware of any system that allows two sources to be played simultaneously and come out separately through wired speakers.

If this is more a concern about using Amazon Alexa, or a voice service product with Sonos, have you used these steps to setup your Amazon device to control your Sonos products? Also, these would be the steps to setup a Google Assistant device to control a Sonos product. Please know that you can voice command Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant products to control Sonos, but even with a voice service enable Sonos product we cannot voice control to them.

Lastly, we can see that you have an open phone case ticket. You are welcome to call back in and continue troubleshooting your current setup as phone agents would have more tools available to them.