Answered

TV audio output stopped playing on Sonos Home theater

• 4 July 2020
  • 4 replies

Hello. I have a home theater set up with Playbar, two Play:1 surrounds and a sub. Suddenly today, my TV does not appear to be outputting any sound to my home theater. I’ve done all the usual checks (optical cable/red light; TV sound settings; Dolby and not Dolby Plus; etc.). 
Not that this matters, but I’ve checked my TiVo, Apple TV, and the TV directly to see if any sound passes through and it does not. All boxes are connected via HDMI to my TV; the TV is supposed to pass sound through the optical cable. 
That everything was working fine for two years and then suddenly stops working is very strange. I’m not sure what worse I can do to fix this. Please help. I have a SONY Bravia 75” 4K OLED TV if that helps. 

Diagnostic: 1619880235.

thanks!

Jay

icon

Best answer by jayramachandran 4 July 2020, 16:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

This must be strange where I reply and answer my own question. But, I’m happy to report that everything works again as intended after I reset my Sony TV to its factory settings. I have no idea what caused the malfunction though. After resetting the TV to its factory default settings, I needed to go through initial set up again and chose external speakers for sound and voila! The TV is outputting sound again to my SONOS home theater set up. This leads me to believe that it was a software issue and not related to hardware / connections / power etc. Hope this helps others who might have faced an issue similar to mine, where the TV suddenly stopped outputting sound to an external speaker system like SONOS. Cheers!

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @jayramachandran! Good to hear that it’s working fine now after you reset your Sony TV to its factory settings. And upon checking the diagnostic, it’s definitely losing the connection from your TV, so refreshing the connection would definitely help a lot. Just let us know if you need anything. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have the same problem with an LG TV.  I do not think this is the TV as there have been no updates or changes.  The audio streaming works fine, but the Playbar does not see TV audio coming to it as visible in the app.  

I reset everything last week by revising the connections, and the Playbar started working again, but 3 days later the same problem came back.  

I hate to reset everything to factory defaults given the time it takes to set it all up again.  Please help.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Patrick Turner, thanks for reaching out and letting us know about that. Are you losing the connection when playing music using the Sonos app? If you have other sources like a cable box that you can try to connect the Playbar or another TV using the optical connection, to figure out if it's the Playbar itself, TV, or optical cable. You can also try a different optical cable because it’s definitely losing the connection between the TV and soundbar based on what you provided. Let us know if this helps. Thanks!