TV and Sonos Setup

• 13 January 2017
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
  • Avid Contributor III
  • 18 replies
Hi
I'm about to upgrade my tv and dvd player to a Samsung UE65K8000 TV and Samsung UBD-K8500.
I already have a Sub, Play 1 x 2 and Sonos Playbar linked to my Sky Q box (can't connect old Pioneer TV direct) and Apple TV (gen 1) using an optical manual switch.
My question is should I connect my Playbar directly to the new TV or still through the Sky Q box - are there any advantages/disadvantages either way. Also, I'm thinking I can get rid of the Apple TV as Netflix, etc is on the new Samsung TV. Can anyone advise if I am missing anything that this new setup would not give me.
Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Hello

Although this was submitted a year ago; there are some points IMO that should be addressed...

From my research (as I live in the USA) the Sky Q Box is basically a whole home DVR system to similar to my Google Fiber. IMO a Sonos Playbar/Playbase/Beam should always be connected directly to the TV via whichever connection is best suited to achieve maximum output and control; as the Beam has two options vs the other Sonos offerings (HDMI-ARC w/Alexa voice control and Optical).

In my situation the HDMI-ARC port on my TV is marked as main or HDMI 1. Typically that port would be reserved for the Sky Q box or in my case the Google Fiber box. If using a Playbar/Playbase the HDMI-ARC port connection is a moot point as they only connect via optical.

If using a Beam the HDMI-ARC port will be reserved for it. In that situation (and I assume this would be no different with Sky Q box) I just connected my Google Fiber box to HDMI 2; as the Beam made sure that everything worked perfectly. Meaning, I don’t have to manually select HDMI 2 every time I turn on my TV or command the Beam to do it for me (sweet)🆒! My AppleTV 4K is connected to HDMI 3 and PS4 to HDMI 4; no issues there.

As far as ditching AppleTV as a Netflix provider in favor of one’s smart TV with Netflix…well that’s a personal choice. I don’t use Netflix so I can’t comment on the advantages or disadvantages of doing so. What I can say is that I have three (3) AppleTV boxes connected to each TV with Family Share activated. I can rent a movie on one and view on another (albeit not simultaneously). Also, my music (iTunes) and pictures are available on all; as well as my digital versions of movies I’ve purchased. So as you can see (and maybe to my detriment) I’m thoroughly ingrained the Apple ecosystem. :8

I hope this proves useful someone. Also, if I’m mistaken about the Sky Q box someone please correct me. Thanks!

Cheers!