Turning On and Off Surround Sound

• 2 November 2017
  • 8 replies

I have CONNECT:AMP with a pair of speakers connected to my PlayBar in a surround sound mode. The Surround sound "sound" works OK, but not as great as I expected. However, when I turn it off through the various apps, my old settings do not return. In other words, I don't see my old CONNECT:AMP pair of speakers as a separate room. In my house I have five CONNECT:AMPS, two PLAY:1's and one PLAY:3 and I run the SOnos app on three platforms, all recently upgraded. Love all other aspects of my Sonos network, but this issue frustrates me. Any thoughts?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What do you mean by "turning it off in the various app"?

I suspect what you need to do is, in your Sonos controller, remove the surrounds and set-up the Connect:Amp in a new room
Stuart, to answer your question. The Sonos App has an option to turn off Surround Sound, which Sonos claims will revert the CONNECT:AMP speakers back to their original configuration. In my case, the Surround Sound shuts down, but the CONNECT:AMP does not go back to the original configuration.
In addition, I no longer have the ability to "see" the CONNECT:AMP on my network when I shut down Surround SOund, so I can't move it to a new room. I appreciate your comments.
I imagine that there was a communication error regarding what 'sonos claims'. The setup of the surround speakers was designed to be semi-permanent. You can setup them up, then repurpose them, but they were not designed to easily switch between being surround speakers and it's own separate zone. Once you remove the amp, you would need to add it back to your system as if they were a brand new addition to your system.

However, you can set the surround speakers to play full stereo audio when tv/line in is not the source of audio. The speakers are still part of same zone though. Does that fit what you're looking for.

It might help if you described why you want to switch between a surround setup and as separate zone. Are you physically moving the speakers attached to your amp to a different location? Perhaps you're repurposing the amp to power a different set of speakers?
You have to actually remove the Connect:Amp from the surround configuration. I'm not quite sure how to remove it, but I assume you have to get into the wired satellite configuration screen by doing the following:

1. Locate the IP address for your PLAYBAR - not the CONNECT:AMP.

On Mac: Sonos > About My Sonos System
On PC: Help > About My Sonos System
On iOS or Android: Sonos music menu > Settings > About My Sonos System

2. Open a web browser on your computer or mobile device, (e.g., Safari, Firefox, Google Chrome, Internet Explorer).

3. In the address bar, type in the following URL, replacing ####### with the IP address of your PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE: http://######:1400/wiredsat.htm (e.g., http://192.168.1.4:1400/wiredsat.htm). Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the CONNECT:AMP surround setup.

This is the procedure to turn it on, so I would imagine there are screen prompts to turn it off
Success! I did need to go into the PlayBar via the IP Address and disable the Surround Sound function. Then, my CONNECT:AMP immediately reappeared. Very easy to do. Greatly appreciate your comments!
Userlevel 7
In my house I have five CONNECT:AMPS, two PLAY:1's and one PLAY:3 and I run the SOnos app on three platforms, all recently upgraded. Love all other aspects of my Sonos network, but this issue frustrates me.

Good to know that jgatie was able to help you resolve your issue. Unless you purchased the five (5) Connect: AMPS over several years I'm a bit curious as to why 5 Connect: AMPS? The speakers you are connecting to the amps must be awesome!

You might consider this if a very recent purchase still within 90 days from either Sonos direct or a re-seller with a liberal return policy....

If you purchased all 5 Connect: AMPS at the same time...for that cost ($2,499.95 -USD) one can purchase twelve (12) Play:1's and have six (6) stereo pairs. Another option for the same cost as the 5 Connect: Amps is Nine (9) Play:1's and a Sub to make 4 stereo pairs with one of the 4 bonded to the Sonos Sub and still have a single Play:1 to place in a bathroom per se.

Play:1's in stereo pair put out great sound in an average size room (say 12 x 16). IMO are great Surround speakers bonded to a Play Bar with or without a sub and still give you the ability to switch them to full on speakers when not decoding TV audio.

In any event...enjoy your Sonos setup!
Thanks. All good advice. On the timing question, we purchased the AMPs through an AV integrator when we built our house 2.5 years ago. Since then, have added only 1’s and 3’s and PlayBars.