Question

Turning off CEC control

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Can Sonos please consider introducing an option to switch off CEC? I prefer to control the volume via simple IR (infrared) rather then using CEC which does not alway work well between different brands. E.g. using the mute button sometimes result in showing the mute logo on the tv screen even when mute is off and sound is playing. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hello @WandB,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. If you are using a Sonos Beam, Arc or Amp with an HDMI/ARC connection, perhaps you would prefer to use the optical adapter instead?

The optical adapter will allow you to connect your Sonos home theater device to the Digital optical port for audio without the CEC function.

You can then program the Sonos home theater device to recognize your IR remote control.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Ofcourse I don’t want to go back to using the optical port as it does not support e.g. Atmos. The question is to make it possible to turn it off so I can just simply reply on IR control without incorrect status’ on the screen and annoying indications on the screen. Can you please consider to make it possible to turn it off?

Ofcourse I don’t want to go back to using the optical port as it does not support e.g. Atmos. The question is to make it possible to turn it off so I can just simply reply on IR control without incorrect status’ on the screen and annoying indications on the screen. Can you please consider to make it possible to turn it off?

I’m not sure if it would work, but you could perhaps try disabling CEC using a CEC-Less adapter…

https://www.amazon.com/Lindy-HDMI-Adapter-Female-41232/dp/B00DL48KVI

I’m just not sure if it would affect the products at either end of the connection. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Shouldn't CEC be turned off in the TV-settings? 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Shouldn't CEC be turned off in the TV-settings? 

Yes, it can be switched off in my LG C9 but then it also turns off the audio return channel. I asked LG to fix this but even if they would fix it then it will take months...

Ken’s suggestion of a CEC-less adapter seems the best bet to me, although like Ken, I am not totally sure it would work because I have never tried it myself.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

I ordered one, will report back in a few days with an update if it works

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

CEC is required to signal the codec type for HDMI-ARC, so disabling it is not a great idea.

However eARC does NOT require CEC as the ethernet wires in the HDMI cable are used for the codec signalling.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

CEC is required to signal the codec type for HDMI-ARC, so disabling it is not a great idea.

However eARC does NOT require CEC as the ethernet wires in the HDMI cable are used for the codec signalling.

Thanks for this update. Time will tell if it works 😉

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

The CEC killer has been in use for a week now and it is working great. The downside is that now the ARC is producing an overlay menu when volume controls are used. And there is no way to turn those off 😕

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I must say though that CEC works perfectly with my Samsung QE65Q90.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The CEC killer has been in use for a week now and it is working great. The downside is that now the ARC is producing an overlay menu when volume controls are used. And there is no way to turn those off 😕

As CEC is disabled, it must be the TV that is displaying the overlay menu.