Trying to access DTS on Arc from 4K bluray (Panasonic GZ1000 & Sony UBP-X700)

• 5 September 2022
  • 2 replies

I have a Panasonic GZ1000 and a Sony UBP-700.

I am fully aware that my Sonos ARC does not support full DTS, but i was under the impression I could access a 7.1 PCM pass through (or at the least 5.1) on any DTS-X input?

i have my blu-ray set to:

Digital output: PCM (have also tried on auto)

DSD: off

Secondary: off

48hz

DRC: off

i have my TV set to :

Audio format: auto (have also tried on PCM)

Dolby Atmos; on (although i know it is irrelevant here)

When playing a title such as ET which comes with DTS-X 7.1, i get 5.1 Dolby plus on the menu screen and then PCM 2.0 during the film. What am i doing wrong that is preventing the Sonos from outputting 7.1 multichannel?

The speaker works fine with Dolby Atmos (obviously) and the software is 14.14 so should have the DTS upgrade.

it is driving me insane because it means i am going to have to get a HDFury just to get the proper experience out of any Universal pictures 4Ks i own (as for some reason they favour DTS over Dolby).

any advice on how to remedy would be most welcome?!!

Also, fyi, my blu-ray is passing through a Kinivo 550bn. Which has zero effect on discs with Atmos soundtracks, so i know it is not affecting my DTS audio. Must be something in the tv or soundbar that isn’t translating?

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi 

Don’t know what brand of 4K Blu-Ray player you have but I have a Panasonic DP UB9000 Ultra 4K HD Player. In the audio menu of the player both Dolby and DTS are set to Bitstream and Secondary Audio is set to “ON”. DTS regardless of codec is output to my Arc as DTS: 5.1. Of course it requires that your TV allows DTS pass-through. Of late some of the newer model TV’s are not allowing DTS pass-through any longer. All said I suggest changing Secondary Audio setting to “ON” and see if that helps.

Userlevel 7

Is your TV equipped with HDMI eARC?

Are there any other options for the Audio Format setting on your TV other than Auto and PCM?

Keep the Digital Audio Output setting on the Blu-ray player set to PCM for DTS discs.

On the E.T. disc, if you set the audio track to the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 track, do you still get Stereo PCM audio?