Question

TruePlay not working because of noise in a quiet room.

I have 2 Sonos surround systems in my home. I just updated both with new Arc sound bars. Now when I try to run the TruePlay set up it says there is noise interfering and it won’t complete the setup. I have tried several times in both rooms at various times night and day making sure there was no ambient noise. No fans, motors, outside sounds, voices, etc. fails every time in both rooms. When I ran the TruePlay set up in the past in the same rooms, with the old PlayBars, the test worked first try every time. Any suggestions?  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

The last time I saw a thread like this, several years ago, it turned out to be an obscuring of the microphone on the iOS device. The person had to clean out the mic, if I recall, using a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol, but I’d check with Apple before introducing any chemicals. I would really want to try regular water moistened swabs first, before I went to denatured alcohol.

Make sure that you also don’t have your iOS device in a case of any type, they’re known to occasionally cause issues. Finally, it never hurts to reboot the router, although I don’t know why that seems to make a difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I know it’s a lame one but also try rebooting your iPhone, something that’s worth doing every month.

Not lame at all. If an app has crashed and left detritus in memory that the TruePlay process is trying to use, a reboot of the iOS device makes great sense. 

Thank you for the suggestions. I rebooted my iPhone (iPhone 11 Pro Max) but it did no good. 

Have you tried to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

I suggest the phone folks, they have more tools available because they're on the phone with you, they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Mkoenig4 

Make sure Sonos is allowed to access the microphone on your iPhone. There are two paths to get to where you need to be:

via Sonos App: Settings > App Preferences > Manage iOS settings

via iPhone: Settings > Scroll down to Sonos

Cheers!

I have confirmed that it has permission to use the mic. 

Phone support isn’t a good option. I’m at worked during their hours. I could try Twitter support. 

I just tried it with my wife’s phone and it work on the first try. She also has an iPhone 11 Pro (but not Max). I wonder what the deal is with my phone. 

It’s not on the list of unsupported devices, But still might be worth an attempt to contact Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

I suggest the phone folks, they have more options available because they're on the phone with you, they are available Monday through Friday during business hours. The Twitter support folks are available 24/7.

I just had a similar problem, which seemed to be related to the Sub. I was attempting a retune after adding a Sub to a pair  of Play:5 gen 2s. 

As troubleshooting steps I tried retuning another room and it worked fine. I removed the Sub and the Play:5s retuned. Added the Sub back in....failed, complaining of too much noise again.

In the end I just removed the Sub again,  rebooted everything and added the Sub back in. Tuning then worked but I am none the wiser as to what was going on. 

Userlevel 7

Try closing all apps that may be running in the background.

Just out of curiosity...you wouldn’t by chance have a “white” noise generator app on your iPhone or an Alexa or Google assistant that generates it? If so closing all apps should silence it  and/or canceling it on the Alexa or Google device.