Answered

Trueplay left/right/centre EQ differences

• 30 August 2020
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

So just a simple question. 

does trueplay tuning EQ the Left/Centre/Right channels in an Arc independently of each other or as a whole?

im not asking about volume balance that is done before the tuning, I’m specifically curious about eq. 

for example if your left side of your arc is close to a wall and your right side isn’t, will it eq less bass from the left channel to make up from the boundary reflections from the wall? Or will it just eq all 3 channels the same?

icon

Best answer by Kyle A 30 August 2020, 23:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @Bjmort, thank you for reaching out.

To answer your question, when tuning the room with Trueplay the iOS device; the Sonos system listens in on the acoustics of the room and the speakers outputting tuning sounds.

After gathering acoustic data of the room it will adjust the speakers accordingly. However, this a per Sonos speaker basis. So, Trueplay tunes the Arc as a whole.

More detail here

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

Badge

I think I just found the problem!

It seems that switching from "ambiance" to "full" reading to "music reading" solves the problem! Strangely, once "full" mode is activated and after having a TruePlay, the two surround speakers are at equal volume. Also, I also noticed that turning "full" to "ambience" during playback again makes the surround right speaker sound louder. And once back to "full", everything is back to normal and the 2 surround speakers sound at the same level again.

The same goes for activating and deactivating TruePlay. Once TruePlay is turned off and back on again, the speaker on the right is louder again. But once gone from "Complete" to "Ambiance" then from "Ambiance" to "Complete" the 2 surround speakers are again at the same level .. Very strange !!

PS: I want to point out that the sound bar and surround speakers are mainly used for television. And this is all really about the use of television.