Trials and Tribulations with Sound bars

• 28 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

We moved to a new home a few years ago and my advanced Marantz receiver and expensive speakers just wasn’t going to fit.   And I bought an entertainment cabinet with a shelf for the receiver that was smaller than the Marantz.

So initially I bought an expensive soundbar.   The Martin Logan Cadence.  It sounded great, but it was an HDMI arc setup and it didn’t like my LG OLED TV.   After a long dual with tech support, I returned it and got the more expensive Martin Logan Vision X with optical input only.  This sounded even better but it had a quirk that when changing channels or playing a music playlist, it skipped the first few seconds of the audio.   Argh.   It was not for me so I changed course and bought a slim Marantz receiver (that fit in the cabinet) and a passive soundbar (Martin Logan SLM X3) plus a sub and satellites .   This was working with everything I threw at it but the sound wasn’t great.   The speaking dialogs were very difficult to understand (I thought I needed hearing aids).  And the Atmos sound wasn’t very good.  

So after a year I got frustrated.   I sold everything and started from scratch.   I bought a Sonos playbar with the proceeds and again had problems.   This time it was lip sync.   No matter what I did, I couldn’t fix it.   Turns out it was a known issue with the LG OLED TV I had.

So I took advantage of the Sonos no questions returns and traded for a new ARC/ Gen 2 Sub, and two One’s.  Also got a beam for the bedroom TV.  And a Move for the Lanai.

This setup blows away all of the above times two.   Beautiful dialog.  Beautiful Music.  Beautiful Atmos.   Beautiful everything…..   The only issue I have is I am one short on the TV HDMI inputs since the Arc uses one.   I have a TiVo, BluRay, Apple TV, and a cable box.   I had to remove the BluRay (which I rarely use).

So, in summary, the Arc 5.1 rocks  !!!!   

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Good to hear. An HDMI  switch would solve the input shortage, although it sounds like you barely need it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I moved the BluRay to another TV...but I have Infuse and Emby for streaming movies back to the OLED TV through Apple TV.

I don’t have a 4K/Atmos compatible Blu Ray ripping reader but I can get simple Dolby 5.1 1080P with my cheapy disk reader.