Thinking of getting Sonos and a new TV. Do i need to worry about 5.1 passthrough?

• 2 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Hi, new to this Sonos world and it's turning out to be a lot more complicated then I expected. Looking at getting a Playbar and 2x play ones as rear speakers. Don't think I can afford a sub at the moment. I'm looking at getting the Panasonic TX-58EX700B TV but this doesn't appear to have 5.1 pass through via optical. Does this matter? Here's the blurb from the manual:

Amplifier
(listening with external speakers)

Use HDMI2 to connect the TV to an amplifier which
has ARC (Audio Return Channel) function.
If connecting to an amplifier without ARC function,
use DIGITAL AUDIO.

To enjoy multi-channel sound from external
equipment (e.g. Dolby Digital 5.1ch), connect the
equipment to the amplifier. For information about the
connections, read the manuals of the equipment and
amplifier.

It then shows a diagram connecting to the Amp via HDMI.

I just want to see Tie fighters on a big screen and feel like they're flying around the room! (I'm also looking to set up a PlayStation 4).

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +20
Sonos is a great multiroom audio system, if you want an easy life with a surround system for your TV then something like this with a suitable speaker package would satisfy your needs for Tie Fighters without the worry about audio formats and if the TV works with the Playbar.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-cinema/av-receivers/denon-avrx2400-blk.html
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
You need to get a definitive yes or no answer on 5.1 audio pass though from HDMI to TOSlink before buying the Playbar really.

You can use HDMI switches with Optical out but you end up with multiple controllers.

My Samsung will pass 5.1 using an EDID emulator on the HDMI sockets (fit and forget), without those it would be straight stereo only..

I use the Playbar + Play1's as much for music now, excellent system; more than just a surround sound setup!.