Telvision Sound Through an Amplifier in a Diffrent room

• 18 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hello I am looking for the best way to get the sound from my television, Sky & DVD player etc. coming through my  amplifier, this is not that straight forward as the Tv and amplifier are in different rooms, I did have a Sonos connect plugged in to the red/white Audio connectors on the side of my old plasma television and I connected  through the line in function through the Sonos app, although there was a slight delay this was easy to do & worked well,  however I now cannot do this as I recently changed my television to a LG TV Model 49UF850V which now has no audio sockets which I gather is the case with all new TVs?

I was advised the best way round was to get a Tenkak HD10 which I got & connected to the television though hdmi arc, this though does not work very well at all, to enable I have to turn it on & off through the TV sound settings and have it playing either through the Tv or the amp as it wont do both, it also cuts out a lot.

I am currently contemplating buying a new television if there is a TV out there that would do this easily, I would also consider another option & trade in the old connect for a connect amp to connect to the television, this seems an expensive way to do it though but it would also be beneficial as I have Hi-Res music which I cannot currently playing through Sonos, if I did this I am not sure how it would work as  I am also using  another Sonos connect with my amplifier as I have a large collection of music on my Synology nas. 

My amplifier by the way is a Cambridge audio CXA81 which also has Wi-Fi if that is any use.

Any help on the best way to do this would be greatly appreciated

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

If you were ok with the slight delay you could use an HDMI-to-phono cable? Otherwise, a Beam or Arc will give you a no-delay solution. 

Badge +2

If you were ok with the slight delay you could use an HDMI-to-phono cable? Otherwise, a Beam or Arc will give you a no-delay solution. 

Hi Thanks but i am not sure how hdmi phono would work as the tv and amp are a fair distance away in separate rooms I  also thought beam and arc were soundbars ? I just want the tv sound through my main speakers  which are in the same room as the Tv 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I was thinking you could use the HDMI-to-Phono cable to connect your TV to the Connect; it’s the same arrangement as you had before, but just using a different cable. It does assume you can set the audio output to go to the external device; your tv user manual should tell you how.

Badge +2

Hi thanks the tv has 3 sound out settings single sound out  (optical/ hdmi arc) and audio (line out) also internal tv speaker and audio out optical which i am sure i would have to use If I wanted any sound from the tv without constantly  changing the setting,  there doesnt seem to a decent hdmi to phono cable out there though i want decent leads if i can get them wouldn't you agree?

Badge +2

So further to my earlier post if i  was to get the Sonos amp which was connected to my tv would it be classed as its own room or zone ?

Would it need to be connected to my router via Ethernet or just wifi?

I would not connect my main speakers to it as they are in another room so how would I get  the tv sound through them, by grouping it  to one of the rooms which i already have on my old connect amp linked to my hifi or by using line in ?

Would i also be able to use the new Sonos amp as my main player for my entire music library including hi res files a connect does not support which is on a nas connected to my main amp ?

Thanks

Budgie