sync issue between Play 5 and Arc.

• 20 August 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi folks, I’ve got a Sonos arc connected to my Sony TV via hdmi earc and a Sonos boost hardwired to the router. When I group the play 5s and the arc while watching a movie/tv there seems to be a slight timing issue between the output. It’s minor but creates an echoing effect. My objective is to explore having more of a 5.1 effect reaching for a wider sound stage with the play 5s providing the left/right channels.  

im wondering if an Ethernet cable between arc and plays may provide some connectivity - I’d imagine im not the only one thinking like this?? Anyone else!?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Adding a L/R pair to a soundbar is not supported. There is a 30ms latency associated with the HDMI connection to the TV and a 75ms minimum latency associated with Grouped speakers. You can mitigate the mismatch somewhat by adjusting the soundbar lip sync, however, this will injure the overall lip sync somewhat. Sensitivity to lip sync correctness varies between individuals.

You need to add two identical speakers as surrounds to avoid issues with the lag,

Grouped speakers will sync perfectly for music sources.

These lags are not problems to be cured, but essential design features.  The lag has to be small in the soundbar audio (and any bonded surrounds) to achieve acceptable audio-video sync.  A bigger delay is necessary to allow grouped speakers to play in sync.