Question

Surrounds Working with Stereo Input

• 24 October 2017
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Just set up my 5.1 system with a Playbase tonight. During my testing of various Apple TV apps to see how the 5.1 worked, I noted that my Play:1 surrounds are playing even when the source is apparently providing stereo input, per the Sonos app.

I’m not complaining by any means, I’m just curious if anyone else experienced this. When doing my research prior to making the purchase, I expected stereo to just come out of the Playbar and Sub.

Is it because the system thinks it’s just playing music and the surrounds are working to provide ambient levels of sound? I know you can change between ambient and full for music.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not unlike how Dolby Pro Logic provided a (rather limited) surround sound experience over an analog stereo audio connection, Sonos is analyzing the audio and looking for various "tells" that indicate a sound might be coming from behind, allowing it to simulate surround sound when only a stereo signal is being provided. It's not 100% perfect, but it does a pretty good job. The uninitiated may not even know that Sonos is only receiving a stereo signal.
Userlevel 3
Badge +9
Thanks for that. Good to know! I’m looking forward to our first true 5.1 experience once we have some time to sit down and enjoy something immersive.