Surrounds don't play music in stereo??

• 1 December 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I am messing around with my new Beam and decided to try them with a pair of Play3s that I have in my Kitchen.  I added them as surrounds, and set the music playback to “Full”.  It seems like they are both pushing out the same mono signal.  Is this by design or can I make them play in stereo without uncoupling them from the Beam and setting them up as a pair?

Thanks people.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @SteveG63, thank you for reaching the Sonos community and for letting us know your concern. Let me help you with this. Apparently, the setup functions differently. To get your 2 Play 3’s to play in stereo, they should be removed from the Beam as surround and If you want to play your 2 Play 3’s as surround, you need to pair them with your Beam as surround. You can adjust or change the surround audio settings.  

1. Open the Sonos app for iOS or Android.
  2. From the Settings tab, tap System.
  3. Under Products, tap your Sonos home theater room.
  4. Under Sound, tap Surround Audio.

On music playback, you can select the type of audio you want to hear from the surround speakers when listening to music. This setting does not apply to TV audio.

• Ambient: Subtle, low volume audio with a limited frequency range. This is the default setting for surround speakers during music playback.
  • Full: Full range audio at the same volume as the home theater speaker.

Hope this helps. If you need assistance with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Rowena, thanks but that’s what I am doing. My question is how to make them play in stereo while set up as “Full” surrounds.  The Beam should detect a non TV signal (i.e. music) and play the rears in stereo along with the Beam at the front playing in stereo.

I mean...that would be logical.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

When set up as surrounds “Full” should be stereo. try playing a song with a big left/right difference to hear if you are indeed hearing stereo. From the top off my head the intro of “Heard it through the grapevine” by Marvin Gaye has a big left/right difference.

When set up as surrounds “Full” should be stereo. try playing a song with a big left/right difference to hear if you are indeed hearing stereo. From the top off my head the intro of “Heard it through the grapevine” by Marvin Gaye has a big left/right difference.

Also, ‘Beautiful Girl’ by INXS opens with guitar from one speaker and piano from the other.  You will know if you have stereo.  My surrounds definitely play in stereo.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Yes,  they are indeed in stereo,  they just don’t sound as full as when I create a stereo pair with them (i.e. not paired with the Beam).  They almost sound like they’re out of phase with each other.  Very flat, compressed, tinny, not a lot of separation.

Oh well.